Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

ideas on how to recover my gopro?

Friend riding my ski knocked my gopro off into the water. I know where it's at, I assume the water is about 15-20 feet deep in the area. Murky delta water. Anyone have any ideas on recovering it? I thought about a towing a net behind my rxp.

Neodimnium magnet on a rope. These things are monster strong and a tiny one (1"x1") can lift 5lbs no problem. Hopefully there's enough metal in the GoPro to get attracted to it. I lost a tiny bolt from my lawnmower somewhere in the depths of my long grass. Neodimnium magnet in a clothbag, dragged around garden for 5 mins - hey presto, there it was along with two washers and a hex key?!?!

Must be this type of magnet, sometimes called rare earth magnets. A normal magnet isn't strong enough in such a small size.

Dragging a net is gonna end in tears. It's gonna get snagged on the bottom, then sucked into your intake. Don't do it. Very bad idea.

Use the magnet to dip up and down and fish for it. Who knows what else you may find.

Good luck. Let us know.

+1
    super ghetto way.... get a nice mask and duck tape a garden hose to the end of a snorkel. Then have someone float above you and hold it out of the water. If it really is only 15 feet deep it should be no problem to stay down there for a decent amount of time.

15ft of garden hose is too long for you to clear your carbon dioxide from your out breath. Therefore after a few breaths you'll be struggling to stay down there due to the C02 build up. Many people at our local golf course lake have discovered this whilst searching for lost balls.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post
    Neodimnium magnet on a rope. These things are monster strong and a tiny one (1"x1") can lift 5lbs no problem. Hopefully there's enough metal in the GoPro to get attracted to it. I lost a tiny bolt from my lawnmower somewhere in the depths of my long grass. Neodimnium magnet in a clothbag, dragged around garden for 5 mins - hey presto, there it was along with two washers and a hex key?!?!

Must be this type of magnet, sometimes called rare earth magnets. A normal magnet isn't strong enough in such a small size.

Dragging a net is gonna end in tears. It's gonna get snagged on the bottom, then sucked into your intake. Don't do it. Very bad idea.

Use the magnet to dip up and down and fish for it. Who knows what else you may find.

Good luck. Let us know.
    I don't think anything in this camera is magnetic. I put a magnet right up to my replacement camera and doesn't attract at all. My buddy bought me a new one, I would love to recover the old one (which was only two weeks old) and get the footage and give him the camera.

Shit, that sucks.

Only other option is to challenge the local dive centre and offer a crate of beer to the finder?

+1
    The dive center is a good idea. I am certified, and in most advanced classes they teach search and retrieval methods using grid patterns and swing lines. Catch the instructor and he may be interested as a teaching tool.

+1
    Freedive it - snorkel, mask and fins - just make sure that someone is above you keeping the area free.

I'm PADI advanced and Freediving to that depth is not issue - or as suggested get the local dive boys in - or phone the FBI and tell them that you may have seen a body down there, they'll find it for free (note this last one is a joke suggestion ^^)

ideas on how to recover my gopro?

Wow did someone really just recommend using a garden hose...that's the craziest idea ever. Once you get past 3 feet you'll collapse a lung with the pressure of the water...do not try this

No magnet will work either....and a net def won't work...where do you guys come up with these crazy ideas. ???

Jump in the water and start looking. Chances are its gone already. 15 feet is nothing to, but then again I Freedive to 70...

If ur really serious then u need to get a tank and dive the spot doing standard search patterns, if you're not certified and don't have the gear already on hand, or a willing buddy to go fetch it for you, I'd cut my losses and get a new camera....

Edit: I see u Have a dive class nearby, honestly ....it's a go pro, it's a lot to ask an instructor with classes already planned, to adjust his curriculum and have him take his paying class out to go recover some guys go pro he lost on his jet ski. Take the reasonable man approach and go look for it yourself....id be ac bit embarrassed asking an instructor like this, and I'm personal friends with quite a few down here. Asking for help. Recovering gear after a legit emergency on the water is one thing...asking to go fing you lost camera Bruce you don't know how, is entirely different....

I'm a certified dive master and rescue diver, underwater videographer as well as a captain. Who's lost many many gopros...

+1
    Put a tether on the new one!!!! LOL!!!!!

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information