Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry 96 xp has ruined my life!

I recently bought a 1996 seadoo xp with a 787 engine.
    The previous owner had some work done to it… some good… some bad.
    Apparently the engine has a Hot rod kit from DPI, (not sure what that means, other then dpi is out of business)
    The ski also has a factory pipe on it.
    The owner sold it to me for cheap because the carbs were not getting fuel.
    I picked up a carb re-build kit and replaced the fuel lines, also added a filter before the carbs.
    The rebuild kit was just new diaphragms and internal filter, no needles or seats.
    While getting the ski out in the water it will start right away and run well for about 10/15 min.
    Then it Boggs down and quits,
    I can get it restarted and get back to shore but it doesn’t start easy.
    Can anyone help me with this I’m wondering if I just need to sit there in the water with it and play around with the idle and high speed screws?
    I haven’t really touched them since I’m not very confident or knowledgeable with two carb systems.
    Or does this sound like something having to do with the DPI system added to the ski?

+1
    You need to do some serious reading about the mods that have been done as far as the DPI stuff and the pipe and figure out what jets and settings are safe... my guess is that the carbs aren't jetted correctly for the mods. If you keep running it this way you are going to need a motor... ppl on GroupK might be of more help...

From what I was told is that the previous owner that I bought the ski from did not install the DPI kit, This was installed before him.
    Hell for all I know is that the ski has a DPI sticker and a factory pipe and ocean pro flame arrestors.
    The Ski is almost 20 years old and I tested the compression before buying it, they both tested at 150 if I remember.
    If what you say was the case I would imagine the motor would have blown by now.
    Also where can I read up on DPI? I've never heard of them before and from what I can tell is Doug isn't performancing anything right now.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Max powers View Post
    ... 1996 seadoo xp with a 787 engine.

... out in the water it will start right away and run well for about 10/15 min.
    Then it bogs down and quits

I can get it restarted and get back to shore but it doesn’t start easy.
    Seadoo is not my area of expertise, but perhaps the fuel tank venting is not working correctly.

When the problem next happens, open the gas cap and notice if there is air pressure or partial vacuum behind the cap. Release the air pressure difference, re close the gas cap, then try the engine. If the problem goes away for a few minutes then perhaps the venting for the fuel tank is stuck closed.

I do not know how the factory venting was done on that model or whether it has been modified.

I thought this would be a issue also. however, on this model there is a line that with a check valve.. seems to vent well, however I wouldn't hurt to try.
    Also I forgot to mention it seems to run fine and start quickly on the trailer, however since I can't run it for very long and it's not under load I know that's not a good indication.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    could be the fuel line coming apart or a clogged on off switch, see if it has the factory grey fuel lines if it does replace them and make sure the on off switch is not clogged up.

I replaced the fuel lines with automotive black lines, I guess I can clean out the fuel selector more.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Max powers View Post
    I replaced the fuel lines with automotive black lines, I guess I can clean out the fuel selector more.
    If the previous fuel hoses were the gray Tempo version then the infamous green goo can clog up the internal fuel filters inside the carbs. Which means taking the carbs apart for cleaning. Might as well rebuild them at the same time.

Just make note of all the current carb settings before you take them apart.

New replacement fuel selector valve is not expensive. Less chance of air leaks and hardened internal seals.

Yes they were the gray tempo lines.. I replaced the fuel lines then re-built the carbs (diaphragms, carb filters,crank diaphragm)
    I did NOT adjust the screws or replace the float needle or seat or jets.
    Only replaced the float diaphragms (I think it's called a pop off valve) and gaskets and internal carb filters.

Is there any way I can see what size jets are in the sea doo? should there be a size stamped on them?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information