Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Fuel hose rating

    Just noticed that the fuel hose I used for the return, from RRFPR back to fuel tank, isn't EFI high pressure rated. It says 'not for use with fuel injection'.

    Given that this is only the return 'over pressure' return hose, is this ok? Or should I drag it apart and replace it? All my 'pressure side' hoses are EFI rated.

    Thoughts?


  2. #2
    Sanfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    S/E Florida
    Posts
    2,536
    +1
    777
    Oh heck yea, I would remove that crap - but not if you need to pull the top off again (is this the 43rd time).

    The rating you are looking for is J1527 (if you don't have any left over)

    It meets and surpasses coast guard standards, which is really strict. Because of the PSI ratings, you must (should) use the Oetker clamps just like OEM.

    Here is a pic of the hose I used.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fi-hose.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	340603  

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post
    Just noticed that the fuel hose I used for the return, from RRFPR back to fuel tank, isn't EFI high pressure rated. It says 'not for use with fuel injection'.

    Given that this is only the return 'over pressure' return hose, is this ok? Or should I drag it apart and replace it? All my 'pressure side' hoses are EFI rated.

    Thoughts?
    The return line is low pressure if you don't have major restriction on it, as long as its rated for the fuel your using it will be fine.

  4. +1 by:


  5. #4
    On the clamp issue, are Oetiker still better than the specific EFI clamps? (The full wrap around type with the small thread bolt - NOT the cheap worm thread crap)

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    Oh heck yea, I would remove that crap - but not if you need to pull the top off again (is this the 43rd time).

    The rating you are looking for is J1527 (if you don't have any left over)

    It meets and surpasses coast guard standards, which is really strict. Because of the PSI ratings, you must (should) use the Oetker clamps just like OEM.

    Here is a pic of the hose I used.
    Lucky I'm still in two halves after fitting new FP. Have been so busy at work, had no time to re-connect it. So not such a big deal to swap hose.

    Also taking the chance to fix / fit a couple of other bits too (new AFR gauge, 12v supply for Ipad Garmin, CMD Autotune switch and three way bilge switch into glove box from originally under rear hatch).

    So it remains at just 42 times this season - not so bad!!!!

  7. #6
    So, I finally finished my Aeromotive FP install with relay. I decided to run with EFI rated clamps on the fuel lines and will keep an eye on how they work out. I Like the fact that they appear to have a solid 360 clamping force.

    Tip for suspension ski guys - run your fuel lines inside larger reinforced hoses all the way from the fuel rail / RRFPR back to the tank. They pass close to moving suspension parts and whilst they may never touch or rub here, they could get pinched. Using this larger, semi-rigid outer gives a belt and braces secure feeling to these precious fuel lines. Also means you can hold the tension off the fuel lines by strapping just the outer conduit hose - see zip tie holding onto tank strap buckle.

    Btw, I used Oetikers on the 'in tank' hose connections JFI.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	340708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	340709  

  8. #7
    Sanfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    S/E Florida
    Posts
    2,536
    +1
    777
    I hope you don't ride salt water.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    I hope you don't ride salt water.
    No salt water riding. I will swap over to stainess when I can find them locally, these are easy to access via the top hatch at a later stage.

  10. #9
    Sanfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    S/E Florida
    Posts
    2,536
    +1
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post
    No salt water riding. I will swap over to stainess when I can find them locally, these are easy to access via the top hatch at a later stage.
    Then you should be fine. Those appear to be galvanized.

    But to be honest, the Oetiker clamp is IMO better than those clamps you are using. No worries about a screw working loose. If they are good enough for aviation, you know they are reliable.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post
    No salt water riding. I will swap over to stainess when I can find them locally, these are easy to access via the top hatch at a later stage.
    Then you should be fine. Those appear to be galvanized.

    But to be honest, the Oetiker clamp is IMO better than those clamps you are using. No worries about a screw working loose. If they are good enough for aviation, you know they are reliable.
    Well spotted, you are correct.

    Fair point on the Oetikers and aviation. I just felt when I used them inside the tank they felt a bit wishy washy when I pulled them up. I wanted to hear a solid click click click, but it just pulled up. Was fully pinched (single ear type) and exact size (part of Riva supplied kit / hose and Oetikers).

    I'm sure they're ok, but an in-tank leak is just a PITA. With the EFI clamps you can pull up and see the hose just start to bulge over. Just feels a bit more comforting. As you say, if Oetiker are good enough for aviation......I never knew that.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-17-2008, 09:19 PM
  2. 96 hurricane & sl750 fuel octane rating
    By klutch_nut in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 03:56 PM
  3. fuel hose and filters
    By bingoxp in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2008, 09:34 AM
  4. Fuel Octane Rating between Countries
    By Autosport in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2008, 07:28 PM
  5. 96XP gauge removal; crossing fuel hoses
    By indycar in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-30-2007, 06:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •