Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Virage i 800 di Need Input Please?

I have reading the forums, haven't found that much to answer my questions. 1.How fast will a 800di go? 2.How reliable is the 800di? 3.Does the injection give any trouble? 4.Does the computer give any problems if so how hard to get it fixed? 5. How is the 800di compared to the Virage tx 1200? 6.The 800di needs flywheel,stator maybe,crank repair maybe,and I don't know about the injection,computer,fuel pump, $400.$200.ect and it still does not run! 7. Is there a way to check the computer and the injectors with out the machine running? 8. I have a 1050 carb motor needs top end,should I covert know or gamble with the 800di? Thanks for All input.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Lots of questions!

This Virage i is a machine you have, or are thinking of buying?
    Quote Originally Posted by sandonut View Post
    I have reading the forums, haven't found that much to answer my questions.
    1.How fast will a 800di go?
    Something just over 50mph, on smoothish water.

2.How reliable is the 800di?
    The engine is mechanically very similar to the two cylinder carburetor version, but 777cc vs 701cc. These engines tend to run well and have long lives. Excellent overall fuel economy.

3.Does the injection give any trouble?
    The fuel injectors tend to be reliable. Sometimes an ignition coil goes bad, not that often.

4.Does the computer give any problems if so how hard to get it fixed?
    The EMM often needs repair. Typically the C89 capacitor needs replacement, and the diodes/SCR on the power board sometimes need replacement.

5. How is the 800di compared to the Virage tx 1200?
    The bigger motor is faster, of course. The extra engine weight seems to help keep the Virage hull hooked up in rough water but overall the two cylinder engine in the Virage hull is a fine watercraft combo.

6.The 800di needs flywheel,stator maybe,crank repair maybe, and I don't know about the injection,computer,fuel pump, $400.$200.ect and it still does not run!
    Fuel pump pressure regulator should always be reinforced. Not hard to do, takes a few hours.

7. Is there a way to check the computer and the injectors without the machine running?
    Not really. You can read the existing/old trouble codes and reset them. Next time engine is run if EMM still detects problems it will record the codes.

8. I have a 1050 carb motor needs top end,should I convert know or gamble with the 800di? Thanks for All input.
    Converting a two cylinder fuel injected Virage to a three cylinder carburetor engine means replacing a lot of parts. The fuel sender is different, the entire electrical system is different.

+1
    I do have the complete sltx1050 machine all electrical,fuel tank,pump every thing except cdi box gen 3. I put that in the tx 1200.Besides it's not that much work for me.I have a shop and 2 grand sons 13 and 14 years old,they can have a motor out of a machine in about a hour. Can you put 1200 pistons in a 1050 or do you haft to replace the jugs? Will 1200 jugs fit the 1050 case?

+1
    I do have the complete sltx1050 machine all electrical,fuel tank,pump every thing except cdi box gen 3. I put that in the tx 1200.Besides it's not that much work for me.I have a shop and 2 grand sons 13 and 14 years old,they can have a motor out of a machine in about a hour. Can you put 1200 pistons in a 1050 or do you haft to replace the jugs? Will 1200 jugs fit the 1050 case?
    Virage fuel tank I think is different shape and size than SLTX fuel tank. Not 100% certain on that.

1200 engine has different crank shaft, different piston/cylinder/head/connecting rod size than 1050 engine.

EMM repair costs about the same as buying a new CDI.

Don't be afraid of learning how the fuel injected engines work. Once you get your head around them, they are not that scary. Sure is nice to have no choke, no carburetors to tune or rebuild, not even a fuel selector valve. And excellent fuel economy, instant starts hot or cold, no exhaust smoke.

+1
    OK I know nothing about this 800di.I don't even know if it 2 or 4 stroke?It is a basket case,all I have is a story about it.I just pick the up out of the hull,(it was already unbolted),set it on the bench.I am going to need a manual.

+1
    OK I know nothing about this 800di.I don't even know if it 2 or 4 stroke?

It is a basket case,all I have is a story about it.I just pick the up out of the hull,(it was already unbolted),set it on the bench.

I am going to need a manual.
    Virage i is a 2-stroke 777cc engine, commonly called an '800' engine. It is direct fuel injected using a Ficht fuel injection system.

Mechanically the same as any other Polaris 2-stroke except for the cylinder head area. Fuel injectors sit directly on top of the combustion chamber (hence the name 'direct injection') with spark plugs on a shallow angle. NGK PZFR6H spark plugs only, no substitutes.

Oil pump feeds both cylinders and feeds the front and rear crank bearings. Only Polaris engine with oil feeds to both bearings.

The large EMM module controls virtually everything on a Ficht engine; spark, fuel, electrical power and even RPM signal to the display.

The electrical power aspect is important. The EMM not only charges the '12 volt' battery, it also powers the fuel injectors using a special '45 volt' output that appears on the White/Red wires. The fuel injectors need over 20 volts to get the engine started, then the system settles down at 45 volts stable while it is running.

All this power comes from the large stator and flywheel assembly on the front of the engine. It is water cooled with a U shaped water jacket on the front of the flywheel cover. The EMM is also water cooled and it is critical that the water flow not be blocked. Check the small hoses for kinks and check the elbows on the flywheel cover for blockage.

+1
    Sounds like Polaris thought a little bit about the 800 di. OK I'll get a fly wheel and check the stator start getting things together. I'm sure I'll need more input. Thanks again

+1
    ... I am going to need a manual.
    Be sure to spend some time reading through all the material linked from my signature.

+1
    Sounds like Polaris thought a little bit about the 800 di. OK I'll get a fly wheel and check the stator start getting things together. I'm sure I'll need more input. Thanks again

+1
    Is there anyway to check the stator with the stator off the engine? If so please explain. That wood be a shame to have to put ever thing together, to find out the stator is bad.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information