Jetskiing from LA to CATALINA ISLAND ----)

Hi my name is Dana and i'm from Newport Beach, CA

I have seen some videos and been reading about groups making the trip over to Catalina Island using a jet-ski..... I find it amazing they would attempt this trip. It takes about 30 minutes......

however if anyone knows the following I would greatly appreciate it.

- i see riders get off the jet-ski in the middle of the ocean. Are they not afraid of sharks? Even if you were 200 yards off shore there is a risk. In the middle of the ocean I imagine the risk is outstanding. even sitting on a jet-ski i would be afraid of a big shark jumping for an attack.

- also the waves. are they not high enough that it's dangerous to ride? even 5 ft waves going full speed is dangerous on any body of water never mind the pacific ocean.

- once you arrive. how do you dock your jet-ski? i heard they are like boats that you use moorings and then you have to find your way to shore (swim or use another boat)

Thanks for your responses.

Hi Dana- Take a look at this site it has all the details you would want to know about making a trip to Catalina on a PWC. There is a lot of preparation and planning required for a trip like this. Recently I did a trip from South Lake Tahoe to North Lake Tahoe aprox. 20 miles same distance to Catalina to get a feel for the distance and feeling of being that far offshore it can be disorienting and conditions can be rough even on a lake let a lone the Catalina Channel. I have been trying to plan a trip myself check out this site and lets get a group together for a trip!!!

http://www.pwcoffshore.com/

http://www.pwcoffshore.com/Catalina.html

Quote Originally Posted by erijacks View Post
    Hi Dana- Take a look at this site it has all the details you would want to know about making a trip to Catalina on a PWC. There is a lot of preparation and planning required for a trip like this. Recently I did a trip from South Lake Tahoe to North Lake Tahoe aprox. 20 miles same distance to Catalina to get a feel for the distance and feeling of being that far offshore it can be disorienting and conditions can be rough even on a lake let a lone the Catalina Channel. I have been trying to plan a trip myself check out this site and lets get a group together for a trip!!!

http://www.pwcoffshore.com/

http://www.pwcoffshore.com/Catalina.html

Sounds great!

I'm also trying to find info on how do you get to shore when you station your boat or jetski. I see they use moorings.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Hi There,
    Sorry bit late to the party here but...
    First of all never make that ride alone. Minimum safety gear would be a VHF radio that is waterproof, a good working GPS that is waterproof, a wetsuit is always smart, a cell phone in a ziplock for emergency,etc. If you read thru PWCOffshore's list of goodies you'll get the picture.

As far as mooring you can use the dingy dock except on busy holiday weekends. It is located on the south, or left side of the main wharf or pier there. You can also tie to a mooring and use an air-horn or VHF radio to hail the shore boat on channel 9.
    Cost is 4.75 per person. They used to let 2=4 ski's per mooring, not sure how many now.
    N33-20.65, W118-19.35 GPS

What kind of ski and where are you departing from?

Thread Information