Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Exclamation The Bug, wipeouts, and making it out alive...

OK, after pulling Denis out of the water and packing him up on a helicopter last weekend, I've been doing a bit of thinking about high speed and how easy it is to get hurt.... BAD. And with so many people that will be hitting 80+ at the 'Bug (myself included), some even over 90, the potential for serious injury is pretty high. So unless we have someone who will be there from a local rescue squad, I might need to appoint myself the Mudbug medical officer (I'm a trauma nurse). I'm asking for a bit of help here, and some feedback....

First, ideally... if anyone going to the Bug will be from one of the local rescue squads, it would be great to have a rescue vehicle on site. It would be equipped with everything we need. Jerry, you would know better than anyone else if any of the local attendees are with the fire dept.

If not... I think the biggest danger to us all will be spinal injuries (That or gator bites). So at the bare minimum, I'm gonna insist we have a backboard with straps and a cervical collar ready for anyone who wipes out hard and we suspect might have spinal damage. Having one available would have made getting Denis to the shore a lot safer and quicker last week. Transport to an ambulance via a PWC or boat could make a spinal injury worse if we can't stabilize the spine; it really can be the difference between walking out of a hospital and being rolled out. I'm sure that there are more medical personnel besides myself that will be showing up, so are there any EMT's that can bring a backboard? Or can anyone local borrow one from one of the fire departments? If it comes down to it, I'll steal one from the ER and drag it with me from Florida. I can come up with some collars, that's not an issue. If anyone can come up with one, let me know.

The backboard is the only thing I'm gonna insist we have on site; just about anything else we can deal with by meeting an ambulance at a boat ramp. However, if anyone has an AED (Automated External Defibrillator), by all means bring it.

Any other medical personnel that are coming, PM me, and lets get together and help plan things out so we can all get home safe. And anyone who has a good idea, let us all know. Here are some issues floating around in my head, I'd love all the input I could get.

Radios to call those of us who will respond to injury?
    Anyone have a rescue sled to pull behind a ski?
    Any chance Shawn Alladio will be coming? Or at least anyone who has been through the K38 Rescue Course?
    We need to know where we would take anyone injured to meet an ambulance, and where the closest LZ for an air evac is.
    What kind of boats will be available to keep gear on and help with transport?

We are gonna have a ton of boats and a lot of speed out there. Jerry, let me know your thoughts on things, and I'll see everyone there!

+1

Excellent Post

I'm glad you're doing some good preventative thinking. We just had
    a rookie jetskier run into a dock here and it doesn't look good to be
    14 and paralized for life.

I know its a little trickey to call someone down who is acting crazy
    on the water, but we need to use the peer pressure of the group
    to keep a handle on it. One jetski at speed running into the onlookers
    would be a real bad thing.....could prevent future Mudbugs.

I would imagine Jerry can communicate with the local authorities and
    brief them on this and get some help up front.

We definitely want to rock and roll at the Mudbug, and live to do it
    another time!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    OK, after pulling Denis out of the water and packing him up on a helicopter last weekend, I've been doing a bit of thinking about high speed and how easy it is to get hurt.... BAD. And with so many people that will be hitting 80+ at the 'Bug (myself included), some even over 90, the potential for serious injury is pretty high. So unless we have someone who will be there from a local rescue squad, I might need to appoint myself the Mudbug medical officer (I'm a trauma nurse). I'm asking for a bit of help here, and some feedback....

First, ideally... if anyone going to the Bug will be from one of the local rescue squads, it would be great to have a rescue vehicle on site. It would be equipped with everything we need. Jerry, you would know better than anyone else if any of the local attendees are with the fire dept.

If not... I think the biggest danger to us all will be spinal injuries (That or gator bites). So at the bare minimum, I'm gonna insist we have a backboard with straps and a cervical collar ready for anyone who wipes out hard and we suspect might have spinal damage. Having one available would have made getting Denis to the shore a lot safer and quicker last week. Transport to an ambulance via a PWC or boat could make a spinal injury worse if we can't stabilize the spine; it really can be the difference between walking out of a hospital and being rolled out. I'm sure that there are more medical personnel besides myself that will be showing up, so are there any EMT's that can bring a backboard? Or can anyone local borrow one from one of the fire departments? If it comes down to it, I'll steal one from the ER and drag it with me from Florida. I can come up with some collars, that's not an issue. If anyone can come up with one, let me know.

The backboard is the only thing I'm gonna insist we have on site; just about anything else we can deal with by meeting an ambulance at a boat ramp. However, if anyone has an AED (Automated External Defibrillator), by all means bring it.

Any other medical personnel that are coming, PM me, and lets get together and help plan things out so we can all get home safe. And anyone who has a good idea, let us all know. Here are some issues floating around in my head, I'd love all the input I could get.

Radios to call those of us who will respond to injury?
    Anyone have a rescue sled to pull behind a ski?
    Any chance Shawn Alladio will be coming? Or at least anyone who has been through the K38 Rescue Course?
    We need to know where we would take anyone injured to meet an ambulance, and where the closest LZ for an air evac is.
    What kind of boats will be available to keep gear on and help with transport?

We are gonna have a ton of boats and a lot of speed out there. Jerry, let me know your thoughts on things, and I'll see everyone there!

Smitty u have my vote.............. Jim said if you had not been there lord knows what might have happened ... at the bug you are not leaving my sight

Equipment Needs

Smitty
    I have several friends and family in the medical field, as well as my wife is Chiropractor.

I will ask around for some items for help with event. I think if we start at list it would help with what is needed and attained.

Also in the past when we did events like such on Street Bike's, a call to the local EMT to let them know what we were doing was helpful. In fact they kept a EMT Unit nearby just in case.

I will see what I can do.

1. Neck Stablization Brace -
    2. BackBoard -
    3. AED-

+1
    Good plan Smitty! You guys bring all the rescue equipment you think we need. There will be several boats on hand to transport anyone that is injured.

The best recommendation i can make is everyone PLEASE ride safe and be courteous. Please stay as far away from docks as possible and especially other riders. I saw some very close calls last year. I would really hate to see anyone get hurt.
    Last edited by Green Hulk; 04-07-2007 at 05:39 PM.

+1
    UM YEA, just a thought but how about wearing a helmet. The guys that race do and especially for the speed runs. At 80+ mph water is NOT soft. Just a little common sense can go a long way. Maybe something to consider

Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post
    UM YEA, just a thought but how about wearing a helmet. The guys that race do and especially for the speed runs. At 80+ mph water is NOT soft. Just a little common sense can go a long way. Maybe something to consider
    Since I was knocked out, how far was I from the boat last year? How close were you when my boat veered left? My point is that there are things that we can't see floating in the water sometimes. This is a good thought! I also like the hand held radio bit as well.

I was an EMT-A in a past life....and I will be there.....lest hope we dont need my skills...i am sure we can all be safe

Quote Originally Posted by TorquePhoto View Post
    I was an EMT-A in a past life....and I will be there.....lest hope we dont need my skills...i am sure we can all be safe
    I was a CCEMT-P before my recent reincarnation also, I know I've got a set of collars in my old personal kit I'll bring...

JP

+1
    Good call Smitty. We will be looking forward to having you there !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information