'01 polaris tx only runs with bilge button depressed-HELP?

My '01 Polaris tx will only run with the bilge pump depressed. Let it go and it shuts down. I just replaced the s/s module. No change. Any ideas??/ I am new to this (forums) I sure hope I did this right. Thanks in advance....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You replaced the LR-505 Start/Stop module, correct?

Is this a genuine Polaris part or aftermarket?

Check that you have battery voltage on both Red/Purple and Yellow wires to the module with the engine not running.

This is a carburetor engine, correct?

Battery new and on tender....yes carbureted....voltage at red/purple and yellow...no voltage at orange until bilge depressed then voltage when depressed....lanyard in have no voltage at orange when starter depressed....possibly defective new module....module received was in "pure Polaris parts" bag sealed. //???

+1
    Check voltage right at the Black wire for the LR module. It should read zero volts relative to engine ground.

I am wondering if the LR module is actually grounded.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Check voltage right at the Black wire for the LR module. It should read zero volts relative to engine ground.

will check tomorrow...I think I checked that today and it was .65mv, close to 0. there are three black wires coming out of module, black, black/white and black/yellow (I think). black goes directly to a ground spade the other two go to same color wiring going to different items in cdi box. I will check and run a separate ground (alligator clips) tomorrow as well and see if runs. is there any way to "fake" the module to run? I am also going to make sure that the lanyard switch is working as well. I did the other day but will retest. I appreciate your info....and help....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by truckerpup View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

will check tomorrow...I think I checked that today and it was .65mv, close to 0. there are three black wires coming out of module, black, black/white and black/yellow (I think). black goes directly to a ground spade the other two go to same color wiring going to different items in cdi box. I will check and run a separate ground (alligator clips) tomorrow as well and see if runs.

is there any way to "fake" the module to run?

I am also going to make sure that the lanyard switch is working as well. I did the other day but will retest. I appreciate your info....and help....
    Please confirm which 'genuine Polaris' LR module you have. There should be a seven digit numerical part number and there should be an LR-xyz marking.

The LR Start/Stop module has several functions. Control battery charging and control the start solenoid.

And switch power on and off for 'accessories' which includes the bilge pump and electric reverse.

Polaris had a problem with some CDI ignition modules whereby the engine would start and run just fine, but when the engine was shut off the CDI would refuse to restart the engine unless you waited several minutes.

To work around this 'bug' in the CDI Polaris moved the power feed for the CDI. The early models had the CDI directly connected to the main Red/Purple terminals and it was connected to battery power all the time. To fix the no-warm-restart condition Polaris moved the CDI power connection to Orange. Now when the engine stops the power to the CDI is completely shut off. When the engine is next cranked the CDI gets powered back up (by the LR module Orange output) and the engine starts.

You can certainly move your CDI Red/Purple connection 'back' to the main Red/Purple terminal group. If the engine starts, stops, and restarts consistently then you can leave it hooked up like that.

The other functions of the LR module need to be checked. Is the battery actually charging when the engine is running? Voltage must be above 13.5 volts or battery is not actually charging.

And since the Orange output on your LR module appears to be dead, the bilge pump will not work unless you press the Bilge button. Same for the PERC electric reverse, if you have that.

I tried to move some wiring around to no avail....checked the s/s switch, works fine, good continuity....still starts right up if bilge is depressed but not without...really strange...part was a genuine Polaris part with numbers like you said and all...possible defective...unless you have another idea will contact the facility I purchased from in Detroit to see if they will exchange...dunno, since it is an electrical item,, hope so..thanks again ps if you think a one to one conversation on the phone is maybe better please feel free to call,,,since I am new at tis forum thing, not sure if my number is visible to you,, let me know.....

Thread Information