Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1997 Polaris SLT/SLTH 700 Drive Assembly Problems

I have a 1997 Polaris SLT (1997) with a Polaris 700 Engine that was just rebuilt. When I bought the machine the motor etc. was completely disassembled and all the parts were in two rubbermaid bins. Using the Service Manual, I managed to get everything put back together. I put it in the water and things worked "fine" for about 20 minutes. Then the drive assembly started making an awful racket and I limped back to shore.
    I took the drive assembly apart and the splines on both the drive shaft and impeller are wrecked. I have attached a picture of the shaft. The coupler end of the shaft is fine.
    I have ordered new parts (about $300 worth) but I would like to know what caused the problem in the first place.
    Is the most likely reason a drive alignment problem? I don't have a Drive Shaft Alignment Tool to use.
    Can I use the old shaft to align the engine? I also read the following in another topic:
    WFO's method is to put the motor in and get everything hooked up. Just start the motor mount bolts and then just bump the starter a few times. The engine will "self align" and then you just tighten the motor mount bolts.
    Will this method work? Is there any other way to do it without the tool?
    I checked to see if there was anything written on the hull regarding engine shims but didn't find anything. There were some large washers (3 of them, see the picture) that I could not identify when I was putting everything back together but they did not fit on the engine mount as the center hole was too small. They also don't match any of the engine shim pictures I found. Does anybody know what they are for? I could't find anything close to them in the Parts Manual.

Thanks in advance for your input on this problem.
    Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1260.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	340983   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1242.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	340984  
    Last edited by bhumeny; 09-06-2014 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Add pictures

1997 Polaris SLT700 - Help Identifying Parts

I have a 1997 Polaris SLT (1997) with a Polaris 700 Engine that was just rebuilt. When I bought the machine the motor etc. was completely disassembled and all the parts were in two rubbermaid bins. Using the Service Manual, I managed to get everything put back together.

There were some large washers (3 of them, see the picture) that I could not identify when I was putting everything back together, I don't think they are engine shims as they do not fit on the engine mount as the center hole is too small. They also don't match any of the engine shim pictures I found. Does anybody know what they are for? I could't find anything close to them in the Parts Manual.

Thanks in advance for your input on this problem.
    Bill

Name:	100_1242.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	340985  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The large D shaped washers may be for the studs that hold the jet pump base to the hull.

The washers are clipped to allow the washers to fit beside the pump intake tunnel onto the studs where they enter the hull.
    Last edited by K447; 09-08-2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Changed to weasel words 'may be'

+1
    The WFO alignment method applies to Yamaha, not Polaris.

It seems that your jet pump was removed and the engine shims, if it had any, are no longer in place.

The drive shaft cannot be used to align a Polaris jet pump. The alignment tool really is the best method, and less expensive than tearing up more driveshafts.

So, there should be 4 of these washers?
    I am still not sure where they go.
    I can't find them on any parts diagrams.

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	340986  
    Last edited by bhumeny; 09-06-2014 at 11:41 PM. Reason: More questions?

+1
    Item 18 in your diagram, part number 7555966. There are three washers and one metal plate.

The plate 5241721 fits under/between the steering cable fitting and the pump stud.

K447:
    Thanks for your help. Is this the likely reason why the splines on the drive shaft and impeller got shredded?

On another topic, I noticed you are from Toronto. Have you found a source for Polaris parts in Canada? I haven't been able to find one. The best place I found period was Marto's Motorsports - http://www.martosmotorsports.com/index.html
    They are in Detroit Lakes, MN, but have a huge warehouse full of parts. There is lots of stuff of theirs on ebay, but there are tons more parts not listed. I justed phoned them up and they had everything I needed (used or new) and they ship to Canada.

I think they should be added to PWC Info as a supplier.

Thanks again.
    Bill

K447:
    I just went out to the garage to have a look at the drive assembly. The pump assembly (#17 in the diagram) is still installed on the machine and does not look like it has ever been apart. The washers may have been part of a pump rebuild kit that one of the previous owners ordered and they did not use the washers.

Now, I am back to my original question: What caused the splines on the drive shaft and impeller to be shredded?
    alignment? ?????

Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bhumeny View Post
    K447:
    I just went out to the garage to have a look at the drive assembly. The pump assembly (#17 in the diagram) is still installed on the machine and does not look like it has ever been apart. The washers may have been part of a pump rebuild kit that one of the previous owners ordered and they did not use the washers.

Now, I am back to my original question: What caused the splines on the drive shaft and impeller to be shredded?
    alignment? ?????

Thanks.
    Just to be clear, the D shaped washers would be inside the hull, not under/in the pump tunnel on the outside of the hull.

Sometimes the hull changes shape after it leaves the factory. Warpage from weird storage positions or laying on the ground, or just because it can. So even if it has never been touched the jet pump to engine alignment can still be incorrect. Not always, just sometimes.

If the jet pump hub bearings are failing then it allows the impeller to wobble and can affect the splines and cause wear. Or the rubber shaft bumpers disappear or get left off. Then the shaft walks back and forth in the splines as you ride around.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bhumeny View Post
    K447:

alignment? ?????

Thanks.
    Just to be clear, the D shaped washers would be inside the hull, not under/in the pump tunnel on the outside of the hull.

Sometimes the hull changes shape after it leaves the factory. Warpage from weird storage positions or laying on the ground, or just because it can. So even if it has never been touched the jet pump to engine alignment can still be incorrect. Not always, just sometimes.

If the jet pump hub bearings are failing then it allows the impeller to wobble and can affect the splines and cause wear. Or the rubber shaft bumpers disappear or get left off. Then the shaft walks back and forth in the splines as you ride around.
    I am going to have to respectfully disagree that these are jet pump washers. Since there are three, and the pump base was never removed, I believe they are #2 in this diagram, to secure the ebox to the hull bulkhead. There are ribs directly adjacent to the washers which make it necessary to cut them to fit....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4112B010.gif 
Views:	92 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	341085 http://parts.polarisind.com/Assemblies.asp

The splines are dead because you didn't align the motor. You need an alignment tool to properly align the motor to the pump.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information