Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Starting Problem

Hi all-
    I have a 1999 Genesis 1200 with 240 hours which started and ran just fine several weeks ago. I removed the battery after using it to top off the charge, put it back in and the machine won't turn over.

The display is on, bilge pump works fine, so I know the battery connection is good.

When I push the start/stop button, I hear a very subtle click noise either from the CDI box, starter solenoid, or in that general area. But there is absolutely no hint of it turning over. The display dims slightly while the button is pushed, then resets when I let off the button.

Any ideas about how to fix the issue are much appreciated.

Thanks and regards-
    Last edited by cbailey; 09-07-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Are you sure the battery polarity is correctly connected?

Thanks for the response, K447.

Yes, the polarity is correct.

I did try to jump the two sides of the solenoid to see if I could get it to turn over. There were no visible sparks, just very subtle spark sounds and the only noticeable result was that the display reset every time I jump the two sides.

Took a meter reading between the two battery terminals and got 12.84V. Also took a reading between the two solenoid posts- same number… 12.84V.

When I take a meter reading between the negative battery post and the lower solenoid post which leads to the starter, I get a reading of 0.

Does this tell you anything?
    Last edited by cbailey; 09-13-2014 at 10:29 AM.

K447,
    I should also mention that one of my major concerns is being able to winterize in the next week or so. Cold temps are moving into Wisconsin!

I assume I need to resolve this issue in order to properly winterize the machine, yes? Or is there a good work around you'd suggest?

Thanks again for your time.

sounds like a bad connection on your battery, bad ground.

Hi Mikel1-
    The ground wire from the battery is securely fastened to the engine block- I did check this. Same story at the negative battery post.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cbailey View Post
    Thanks for the response, K447.

Yes, the polarity is correct.

I did try to jump the two sides of the solenoid to see if I could get it to turn over. There were no visible sparks, just very subtle spark sounds and the only noticeable result was that the display reset every time I jump the two sides.

Took a meter reading between the two battery terminals and got 12.84V. Also took a reading between the two solenoid posts- same number… 12.84V.

When I take a meter reading between the negative battery post and the lower solenoid post which leads to the starter, I get a reading of 0.

Does this tell you anything?
    What is the reading there when you press the start button? It should read zero until you press the start button. Have you checked the connection of the large red wire to the starter? If you jump the solenoid posts and still get nothing, you either have a bad connection somewhere in the circuit or a bad starter. You say you are in Wisconsin. Where are you at?

Hi BrianP-
    When jumping the negative battery post, lower solenoid post(which leads to the starter), and pushing the start button, I get a reading of 0.

We're in Watertown, not too far from Milwaukee.

Banned User
    +1
    I bet your solenoid is dead. If its the black bodied solenoid with the metal backing plate they are known to fail. A new one from a Sea Doo dealer for about 40 bucks is a good upgrade even if your solenoid is still working. Just for giggles, unplug the plug from the solenoid and take a reading from the yellow/red to ground with the start button pressed.

Thanks, Bryan-
    Yes, I think the solenoid is original and does have the metal mounting plate which I also read about on another post by K447.

Ordered a new solenoid today. Figured it's a fairly inexpensive item to try before going deeper into diagnosis.

I did try your suggestion of connecting to ground and the yellow/red wire inside the solenoid plug with start button pushed- got a reading of 12.90V. What does that tell you?

Thanks,
    Bailey

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information