Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2006 GTI SE Sea Doo Low Hours - What to look for?

Had Ski Doo's for years. Sold the Pontoon and ski boat. Now looking at a 2006 Sea Doo with 63 hours. The digital pictures make it look like a new one, and owned by two school teachers... honest.
    Oh and the trailer looks brand new and its always been stored in a garage.

So what to look for and I am insisting to see it running. NADA puts the price between $3800 - $4060 is that about right??

Referred to Green Hulk by the guys over on Doo Talk where I normally hang out. Thanks for letting me in....

I sold one last year in new condition with similar hours for 5500 on a trailer. It was immaculate without a scratch, though

Quote Originally Posted by Wire4Money View Post
    I sold one last year in new condition with similar hours for 5500 on a trailer. It was immaculate without a scratch, though
    I Was looking to purchase a Yamaha same year but with 400 hours, that's right a LOT of miles. I found this one and they are motivated sellers, and nice people who lived near a lake and now they don't. I am going to hear it run but is there anything else I should be looking for???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire4Money View Post
    I Was looking to purchase a Yamaha same year but with 400 hours, that's right a LOT of miles. I found this one and they are motivated sellers, and nice people who lived near a lake and now they don't. I am going to hear it run but is there anything else I should be looking for???
    You should do a compression test and check for any hull damage. Pull the dip stick and check the oil. If it is milky, run away. I think $4,000 is too much for a 2006 GTI SE when you can pick up much newer entry-level skis for maybe $500-$1000 more.

Iowa is not a Lake area, (good used) Jet Skis are few and far between. Only one stocking dealer and its by a Lake, surprise. At 63 hours in 8 riding seasons I would think the NADA price would be close and its adjusted for the Zip code.

I will check the dipstick for water in the oil and hear it run before purchasing. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm certainly no expert, but we just bought a 2006 GTI SE in April of this year. It had 153 hours, was in perfect mechanical shape, but had some bumps and bruises on the hull. Nothing structural, just cosmetic. I did a water test and it ran strong. Runs in low 50's on a good day in smooth water, but has plenty of acceleration. Paid $3,800 for ski and trailer. Based on prices and availability in my local this year I think we got a good deal. Ski has been fantastic all summer. We have put nearly 40 hrs on it this summer alone. From what I hear, these are pretty bullet proof if you take care of them right.

7. +1 by:

I'd like to be able to do a in the water running test as I understand that is the only way to really check the RPM vs the speed on the water = pump and motor condition. But no body of water nearby.
    Doing a compression test on an aluminum head engine you don't own is risky especially when the sellers are non mechanical school teacher types. Break a plug or strip out the head removing or reinstalling the plugs.... and you've bought the ski.

SD-Taz thanks for your reply, it looks like I am in the ball park price range.... for this area.
    The NADA price I quoted above was for both the trailer and ski. This ski had both lanyards, the owners manual and I think a cover included.

Had Ski Doo's for years. Sold the Pontoon and ski boat. Now looking at a 2006 Sea Doo with 63 hours. The digital pictures make it look like a new one, and owned by two school teachers... honest.
    Oh and the trailer looks brand new and its always been stored in a garage.

So what to look for and I am insisting to see it running. NADA puts the price between $3800 - $4060 is that about right??

Referred to Green Hulk by the guys over on Doo Talk where I normally hang out. Thanks for letting me in....
    others may chime in with some specifics. But I've helped several friends try to purchase used skis. I am retired but have a long engineering background. Here's what I look for and some reasoning. Sometimes u can let the seller in on what you're looking for and why, ultimately you are educating them, and its the reasoning for your offer.

compression check if you can. Otherwise just remove plugs and check them u can see what fouled plugs look like. I also like to see tons of electric grease on cool boot.

get a good look at the jet pump, you may need to remove it, it's easy. Check wear ring clearances. A search here or on google can give you specifics.

check for ease of steering and reverse

look at the 2 stop nuts for steering and reverse ccable on the transom plate. The newer seadoo ones are white. Originally black. If they're black there's no telling when they will break. If they do, you let in water. It's be real cool of you had the billet aluminum ones!!

look at all clamps on hoses especially towards exhaust. If they are rusty, they'll need attention.

condition of driveshaft, if it sat and rust accumulated, I've seen it where rust has taken out o rings in either the floating bearing or carbon seal.- not good.

oil around motor. There's oil pressure on these motors.
    run it and look for streaking.

age of battery? Another costly overlooked item.

i look for mold on fuel tank, especially on low hours If the ski sat with low fuel, u cn see the level. Sometimes the fuel is at the mold line. This tells me they just don't use it anymore and it is probably behind on service.

check condition of trailer if applicable, you don't want your new ski to break because of a trailer malfunction.
    bearings,tires,bunks, leaf springs, etc...

i then normally take note of everything it needs and leave and do homework. Sellers are more anxious to sell than you are to buy. This is a let down. Helps with haggling.
    Figure out list price on items needed, and dock that from nada. Nada is an average of what they should sell for in excellent mechanical condition. 9 year old plastic parts aren't excellent IMO.

use this as a reference. I wouldn't pay more than 3k
    for that ski in perfect order. There's always more deals, don't get attached to this one. Keep us posted

Wow lots of good advice. I did some reading in the FAQ section and my concern is on the exhaust valve failures. The Engine type number on the data plate shows it to be a 6BCXM1.505G is that the one with problems?

This Ski is nearly a 3 hour drive from me, no going back for a second look and haggling the price down. Its also the lowest price, lowest hours jet ski within a 150 mile radius. Granted I am only looking for Yamaha or Sea Doo both are top rated as I understand. Motivated seller as they were on a lake, now stuck in the middle of a corn field so to speak.
    Last edited by wmgeorge; 09-08-2014 at 04:26 PM.

Wow lots of good advice. I did some reading in the FAQ section and my concern is on the exhaust valve failures. The Engine type number on the data plate shows it to be a 6BCXM1.505G is that the one with problems?

This Ski is nearly a 3 hour drive from me, no going back for a second look and haggling the price down. Its also the lowest price, lowest hours jet ski within a 150 mile radius. Granted I am only looking for Yamaha or Sea Doo both are top rated as I understand. Motivated seller as they were on a lake, now stuck in the middle of a corn field so to speak.
    im not sure which 4 tecs have the valve failures, i think, that they are the pre 04's but im not positive. if the ride is that far, if you have a smart phone you can look at pricing for the parts.

the steering and reverse cable are about 120 each with shipping theyll prob be the most pricey, unless u need a driveshaft. just keep in mind the ski is 9 years old. i think i bought my 08 gti se 155 left over in 09 for 7200? no trailer. i dont remember exactly but was less than 8

the 4 tec imo i like in the salt here because of the closed loop cooling system. my 08 fx sho had some cooling issues due to corroded t-stats even flushing with salt away. each ski has pros/cons i personally chose seadoo because at the time they made the same engine without many differences in design for 6 years. engineers must see something they like. the gti se is nice as there is no supercharger.... less to go wrong, naturally aspirated motor, pleanty of power. i dont run wide open but i think i push a little over 60 and i am 6'4 250-260.

i cruise around at 40 and its fine for me! you just dont want headaches thats all. if you cant take the jetpump off, ask questions....if they were inexperienced riders or not....yada yada

try to look at the wear ring or impeller. impellers get pricey, i think you can get them refurbed, not sure if its worth it or not. i think solas run 2-300? wear rings on seadoos imo are the easiest to change out of all the manufacturers, theres tons of write ups on here.

just dont act excited, hopefully itll go your way

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information