Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2008 Ultra 250X, Garage ripping me off?

I have a 2008 ultra 250x that I use for flyboarding. I bought it last summer at 50hrs and now it's 83hrs, so it haven't been used all that much...

Although I am very careful with it, couple weeks ago I lost all power and it started making a weird noise... I could only go around 25mph instead of the usual 65mph and there was that weird noise that didn't sound good at all plus the jetski would have a hard time starting up. So I decided to turn it off and take it into a shop to get it fixed.

They checked it and gave me a 2600$ quote, saying the shaft and impeller needed to be changed, that they needed to lift the engine and that was going to be around 12hrs labor.
    We proceeded with the repairs, along with two upgrades; a skat-trak dual impeller (a must for flyboarding) and I had the pump dual bearing setup of the 300x instead of just one bearing of the 250x redone. Ended up being a 2800$ bill.

Once fixed, I put the jetski in the water and it starts up properly... I am aware that my top speed should be slower because of the dual impeller but I was expecting 55-60... I pushed the jetski to its max and I could only reach 45mph. At that point the "oil pressure" indicator started beeping and flashing. I did a couple manoeuvers to test the jetski as I didn't trust it since it was acting weird then it just shut off, after around 2-3 minutes on the water. At that point I wasn't able to start it again and took it back to the shop.

Now the techs over there are telling me I probably broke the engine somehow and that they're going to give me ANOTHER quote...... I haven't received that quote yet but reality is if I had known it was going to cost me 2800$ + XXXX$? , I think I would have just gotten rid of the kawa because let's face it... this thing is worth 6-7k ?

Now it feels like the garage I had the repair done is ripping me off. I called consumer protection and PWC aren't under the same laws as cars so I am in a bad situation here.

To me, it feels like the techs should have noticed and told me that not only the impeller and shaft had to be repaired. If it was a car, they'd have to reimburse me the cost or just fix it for free... but now there is nothing I can do except figure out if the techs did their job properly or not, which is why I am here.

If I can prove that I am being greatly penalized due to improper work or just plain malice, well I might take that to court and see how it goes?
    What would you guys do?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by K447; 09-08-2014 at 06:56 PM.

+1
    It depends where you are located, but at the $2800 original estimate I would have looked at a different shop, considering the parts, they are charging you almost $200 an hour for labor.

From what I have read on this site with Kawasakis, is when the pump/driveshaft/bearing thing goes out, it only takes a short time to damage the motor, & that could have easily been done when the pump bearing failed with your initial issue.

Just last week I upgraded my pump to the double bearing setup to avoid this problem.

Most likely you are looking at a rebuilt motor. Worth is or not? You can't replace it for a few grand, but you might be able to repair it for that.

With a fresh motor & pump, should be good for many years.
    Last edited by K447; 09-08-2014 at 06:55 PM.

+1
    Why is this posted in the ECU section?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Moved

Sean

Well I am from Canada and everything here is quite expensive I guess...
    It's also quite hard to find shops that will do Kawa's.

Which is maybe why it feels like I am getting ripped off? Labor is 80$/hr .. 12hrs + parts.. dual impeller was 800$ shipped.

So basically the techs that fixed my jetski the first time, they should have really looked at the engine and added it up to the estimate which would have went to a whooping 4-5k+ $ ? At that point I guess I would have dumped the jetski and gotten a Yamaha instead?
    What should I do now? ... I just lost 3k and my jetski? Or I'll have to toss more money on a piece of crap jetski??? :X
    Had only 83hrs... really???
    ughh.......

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    That is usually what happens....pump goes out...takes thrust washers out on the crank....if the shop isnt familiar with Kawasaki's they may not have known....even though it is well known what happens....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by FwoGiZ View Post
    Well I am from Canada ...

It's also quite hard to find shops that will do Kawa's.

Which part of Canada?

You can update your My Profile to show your location/city. Helps others help you...

I am around Belleville... I had to go to Marmora (30min drive).
    I know there is a shop in Kingston too (1hr drive).
    I am pretty sure there is one around Oshawa which is an hour drive too...

it is worthwhile to upgrade a stock pump to the double bearing setup? Or should I replace the pump too? thanks. dd

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I have a 2008 ultra 250x that I use for flyboarding. I bought it last summer at 50hrs and now it's 83hrs, so it haven't been used all that much...

Although I am very careful with it, couple weeks ago I lost all power and it started making a weird noise... I could only go around 25mph instead of the usual 65mph and there was that weird noise that didn't sound good at all plus the jetski would have a hard time starting up. So I decided to turn it off and take it into a shop to get it fixed.

Once fixed, I put the jetski in the water and it starts up properly... I am aware that my top speed should be slower because of the dual impeller but I was expecting 55-60... I pushed the jetski to its max and I could only reach 45mph. At that point the "oil pressure" indicator started beeping and flashing. I did a couple manoeuvers to test the jetski as I didn't trust it since it was acting weird then it just shut off, after around 2-3 minutes on the water. At that point I wasn't able to start it again and took it back to the shop.

Now the techs over there are telling me I probably broke the engine somehow ...

... it feels like the techs should have noticed ...

If I can prove that I am being greatly penalized due to improper work or just plain malice...
    ... the techs that fixed my jetski the first time, they should have really looked at the engine and added it up to the estimate ...
    Just to be clear, the first time the watercraft lost power and made a noise, did you shut it down right away, or did you continue to ride it despite the noise and power reduction?

And you then restarted it and the noise continued, correct? Did you again try to ride it despite the obvious symptoms?

Did the repair shop water test the engine after repairs? Do they have a test tank or take it to a river or lake for testing?

When you ran it for the first time after repairs, how long did you ride it before the oil light began flashing? Did you immediately shut it off or continue to ride?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information