Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PWC versus NEWBIE build thread.

I have never owned a boat much less a jet ski. My son found one cheap and knew I have always wanted one to cut my teeth so we bought it. I will likely have a ZILLION questions for the group so I thought I better start a thread for the rehab on the ski.

A little info on the ski.
    South Texas ski moved to up to North Texas.
    1996 Polaris SL900 Domestic with hours currently unknown.
    The ski sat about a year before I purchased it.
    Ski was a runner till hull filled with water (has ran since swamping) due to missing plug. E-box is separated and shows some wiring damage.
    Pictures,videos coming soon.

First question. The e-box on the ski was separated when I got and shows damage to some of the wiring (ground to mag housing is smoked) and the connector board. My question is since I have to rehab all the internals in the e-box has anyone relocated theirs somewhere other than over the battery? I'm no mechanical engineer but over the battery wouldn't have been my first option.

Thanks everyone!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

If you have not been there, see my signature links for lots of useful info.

I am not sure why Polaris located the electrical box on top of the battery, other than the limited places inside the hull that are clear of the driveshaft and the vibrating engine. Certainly the plastic cover for the battery is critical to avoid accidental short circuits to the metal shell of the electrical box. This is the typical cause of burning up the black stator 'ground' wire.

Some Polaris models have the electrical box mounted elsewhere, you can mount it wherever you want as long as the mounting is robust and the wiring stays out of trouble with moving engine parts.
    Last edited by K447; 09-28-2014 at 11:53 AM.

+1

Battery cover/location

It sounds like you'd want to make sure you have the plastic cover for your battery. This is pretty critical to making sure your positive battery terminal does not touch the bottom of the e-box. I have your exact year and model SL as well. As long as you have everything setup correctly, with a proper tray, cover and straps, the battery location will not be a problem for you. Not my first choice of location either, but put it together correctly and don't worry about it. You'll have lots of other things to fix. Good luck and everything you need to know can be found here.

Quote Originally Posted by Binderman View Post
    First question. The e-box on the ski was separated when I got and shows damage to some of the wiring (ground to mag housing is smoked) and the connector board. My question is since I have to rehab all the internals in the e-box has anyone relocated theirs somewhere other than over the battery? I'm no mechanical engineer but over the battery wouldn't have been my first option.

Thanks everyone!!

+1
    Since the battery location is very inconvenient, I very much suggest using an sealed, AGM style battery. It has been my experience, and I'm sure most other forum members would agree, the conventional lead acid style batterys are slightly above average when brand new and fail quickly. The AGM battery will also help your 900 start easier as the domestic ignition systems do weird things when battery voltage low.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    AGM battery for sure.

The thin black ground wire also gets smoked when the thicker ground wire get loose at the engine block, all that amperage then flows thru the smaller wire when the starter is engaged and that thin black wire won't take the amp draw
    Last edited by K447; 06-19-2015 at 08:05 AM.

I'm about to get back to this thing. We recently purchased a lake property and just a few months later the good Lord blessed us with some much needed rain. The lake went from 19% to 84% as of yesterday. So with the cabin and the water back up to where you can use the boat ramps again the Wifey is wanting some water toys.

I'll drag it out this weekend and most likely be back with many questions!!

Thanks yall!

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    location?

Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    location?
    Crowell Texas in North Central Texas about 20 miles below the Red River.

So I drug this trainwreck out of the shed and gave it a quick once over. First thing I want to do is run a compression test on the engine to see where it stands. If something is iffy with my findings I may just part the thing out and cut my losses. I don't feel that internal engine work would be worth it in the end but the Wifey may change my thinking. I've got a little over 200 in it now and if I can get it water ready for less than 750 I feel it will be worth it. Am I low balling a salvageable machine??

As mentioned above the black wire to the mag was burnt in to just over the center cylinder head. The mag cover has red silicone squished out around it so I figure someone has been in there earlier in its life. After reading all the horror stories about the cost of parts under that cover I hope I have the updated stuff and its all still good. Time will tell.

Now to access the mag should one pull the fuel tank or try to wrestle it on and off from under the seat access hole?

I plan to pull all the exhaust off of it so as to gain some room around the bottom of the hull so I can clean the debris out and gather up the loose bits left from previous repairs.

The thing is pretty complete and everything seems to be in place as of now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information