Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Polaris Virage replica (Yong Wang) using Kawasaki ZX9R motorcycle engine

Hi. Itīs been a while since i did anything with my pwc. Itīs actually a Polaris replica from China.

Late last summer the engine broke down on me. So i just putted it in the garage for the winter. This summer when i took it out to fix it, i noticed that the engine wouldn't turn. I took it apart and found alot of salt water. The entire crank and the engine blocks were totaly destroyed.

Started to look for a renovated engine, but since i live in Sweden it would cost me a fortune to just ship it here. So i started to look at Swedish site that sells used motorcycle engines, and found a Kawasaki zx9r engine with broken gearbox. Perfect since i dont need it anyway.

So i bought it, and here my project start
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140831_180651.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	341116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140831_181144.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	341117  
    Last edited by K447; 09-08-2014 at 11:28 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome back

Is your watercraft a Yong Wang product?

Do you know why or how salt water got inside the engine?

What is the peak power RPM for that motorcycle engine? How much power?

Does it have good torque at low to medium RPM?

First of, Thank you

Yes, itīs a yong Wang. (Funny name i know )
    It seems like the rubber sealant (I dont know the english word for it) that seals around the cranc has broken. And it was some water in the hull. Not when i putted it in the garage off course, but after i rode it the last time.

About the Kawasaki engine. I dont know the exact power curve. But it has 144hk and rev limit is at 10500 or 11000. I donīt remember. But from what iīve red itīs suppose to have pretty high power output at low rpm. Im gonna run a fully programmable injection and ignition on the engine, so i can put a turbo on if needed

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickard J View Post
    About the Kawasaki engine. I dont know the exact power curve. But it has 144hk an rev limit is at 10500 or 11000. I donīt remember. But from what iīve reed itīs suppose to have pretty high power output at low rpm. Im gonna run a fully programmable injection and ignition on the engine, so i can put a turbo on i needed
    You will need to match the impeller pitch to the engine power output to control the peak operating RPM in the water. I have no idea whether the Yong Wang jet pump parts are interchangeable with genuine Polaris parts such as impellers.

The jet pump will become inefficient at RPM much higher than 8000 or so. 11000 RPM seems way too high and I have no idea how long the greased bearings inside the jet pump would last at super high RPM.

Yamaha sells a Waverunner model using an 1100cc modified motorcycle engine but it includes a gearbox to reduce jet pump RPM. That Yamaha engine does rev to something like 10000+ RPM

Ok. Good to know
    Then iīll just put the rev limiter to 8500 and put on a more pitched impeller. I have no idea how this will work. But we will see

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickard J View Post
    Ok. Good to know
    Then iīll just put the rev limiter to 8500 and put on a more pitched impeller. I have no idea how this will work. But we will see
    It wont, these engines throttle bodies are sized for the rpm peak powrr is made at. You will lose a lot of power if you dont update the throttle bodies to match the new rev limit.

What are you planning on gearing it with since I assume that you are using the transmission.

Also keep in mind that the jet pump loses efficiency above 8 or 9000 rpms, depending on power output you might also need a stronger pump.

What ecu system are you using?

Sean

+1
    Did you get the starter and alt. you should look at a short track tq miget they use bike motors overhead motors leave the trans on and single over head cam motors can remove trans you might look at how they remove the trans and run a alt . The angle of the intake runners on zx motors is usually a problem being used in other applications starter canbe a problem when trans removed . Did you get all the electrical cdi, ign, coils. Etc . I put a zx7 motor in a dune buggy was a pain and I had everything good luck

+1
    A good web site for info is Andy's zxr750 good links I know your using a 900 but lots of similarities there a good bunch of guys

Ok. I had no idea that 8-9k rpm was max. But now that I know I will look at some kind of gearing. Because the entire gearbox has been removed, i will use the flywheel side of the crank and put an axel on it and a gear. Then use a chain to the driveshaft. I'll figure it out
    That's what's great about these forums. You learn so much

I've kept some gears. So the starter and water and oilpump will still work.
    The stator and coils are stock.
    I'm gonna run a Civinco ecu.
    Last edited by Rickard J; 09-08-2014 at 11:54 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information