2004 MSX-140 Hard to Start

I have an 04 MSX-140 that I have had since new. It's always worked perfectly until this summer. It starting getting hard to start a few months back. It always turned over a few times (maybe 1-2 secs before it caught) but now you can run the battery flat and it may never start...... sometimes it will eventually but usually not. BUT..... hook my battery charger to it which has a boost feature and it starts pretty much normally. Even though the starter doesn't turn over a whole lot faster... maybe a bit but I am just starting the troubleshooting so any tips where to start would be great.

Thanks
    Mike

+1
    How old is the battery? Those injectors need the battery to be over 10.5 while cranking. I'm sure k447 will jump in with something's to test.

Wow... I guess my reply disappeared.. It's a one season old Everstart, often fondly called a NEVERStart. But I have slow charged it and tested it and it seems fine.

Mike

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, I suggest you begin diagnostics by measuring the actual battery voltage while the engine is cranking.

A strong battery will provide voltage at or above 11.0 volts with the engine cranking. Use a good quality multimeter.

If battery voltage is good during cranking, next test is to measure voltage on White/Red wire, while engine is cranking. All fuel injectors must remain plugged in. Find another place to tap into the White/Red wiring. As soon as the engine begins cranking the voltage on White/Red should jump up to over 20 volts.

If the engine starts the voltage should jump again to around 45 volts and be stable as RPM varies.

K447;

Thanks and I ran that test a few minutes ago. I suspect the battery is the main culprit. At rest it shows 12.6v on my DMM, cranking its down to 10.0v at the battery and on the red/white. With the charger connected I get 13.4 at rest (charging) and about 12v when cranking, the red/white now shows 20v and the machine fires up within several revolutions of the motor. Unplugging the charger and attempting to restart shows all the original voltages and no start. It's obvious the battery should be better but I am surprised that the machine will turn over so well yet not fire. It seems the voltage threshold of the injectors seems higher than it should be??

The engine cranks over fine but if the battery isn't good enough to start, I'll replace it in the spring.. is there anything else I can do to have the injectors trigger at a lower voltage? Or is this high threshold there for a reason?

Thanks
    Mike

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
    K447;

Thanks and I ran that test a few minutes ago. I suspect the battery is the main culprit. At rest it shows 12.6v on my DMM, cranking its down to 10.0v at the battery and on the red/white. With the charger connected I get 13.4 at rest (charging) and about 12v when cranking, the red/white now shows 20v and the machine fires up within several revolutions of the motor.

Unplugging the charger and attempting to restart shows all the original voltages and no start. It's obvious the battery should be better but I am surprised that the machine will turn over so well yet not fire. It seems the voltage threshold of the injectors seems higher than it should be??

The engine cranks over fine but if the battery isn't good enough to start, I'll replace it in the spring.. is there anything else I can do to have the injectors trigger at a lower voltage? Or is this high threshold there for a reason?

Thanks
    Mike
    The Ficht fuel injectors on your engine are completely different from automotive fuel injectors. The injectors are actually electrically powered ram fuel pumps and require the 20+ volts to properly pressurize the fuel and force it directly into the combustion chamber.

The battery is not merely to rotate the engine for starting. The battery must also be strong enough to rotate the engine rapidly enough and properly energize everything else needed to actually run the engine. Your battery does not meet these requirements, apparently.

Thread Information