09 fzr start "jumping" at 65+ mph looking for solutions

Hi everyone. I always ride my jetski on lake michigan so it is little waves every time. Today i went to a river and was really smooth water and every time I hit 65+ mph the jetski start jumping up and down (185 lb 5.7 ft full tank of gas). Adjusting the trim didn't help. With 1/2 tank i hit 70 mph and i think the "jumps"was little smaller. I have R&D lntake grade and R&D ride plate with the oem yamaha shims. Do you guys think removing the oem shims will help? Or should I add some shims on the front or back of the ride plate?

+1
    Add some shims to the back bolts of the plate. I like to use stainless steel fender washers as they have a larger surface area and help distribute the load. Currently I have the R&D plate with the factory shims, and 2 washers under each of the rear two bolt holes. I have the washers between the ride plate and the factory shims. Make sure you have enough threads as you add shims. You may need to get some longer bolts. I usually get my stainless hardware from McMaster-carr. I did lose a little speed with the factory shims back in place as it causes the ride plate to hang lower, so I may try it with just the washers under the rear bolt holes.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Shims are one option. What RPMs are you turning at WOT? If you aren't up at 7600, then you are leaving HP on the table. This lack of 'peak HP' causes the ski to bounce at high speeds because the ski doesnt have the power to keep the hull high out of the water. Dialing in your RPMs will increase HP and eliminate some of the jumping. I originally used a skat 13/23 and only turned 7400rpms with a decent amount of jumping with a VX plate by Jim. Repitching to 13/20 brought my RPMs up to 7600+ and reduced the jumping a bit. Hope that helps.

My RPM's is about 7750+ max speed 70mph on stock impeller. Maybe I should repich the impeller? I got a whole winter to play with this test runs next season. Thanks for your help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pasek74 View Post
    My RPM's is about 7750+ max speed 70mph on stock impeller. Maybe I should repich the impeller? I got a whole winter to play with this test runs next season. Thanks for your help.
    Thats right were you want to be RPM wise. I would go with shims in that case.

Thread Information