Difficult Diagnosis!

Just taking a stab in the dark here. Maybe someone can offer some advice.

I bought a new Yamaha VX Cruiser Waverunner in June 2014. The first 10 hours of use everything worked great. I used it mainly in salt water. I flushed the machine out after every use using the flush hose under the seat. I always used to take particular notice after each use to check under the seat to see if any water leaked in. It has always been bone dry. Just an FYI...I use the machine only on the calmest days with my wife. My days of tearing around on machines is over. Average speed I go is only around 35 km/h.

After 10 hours on the machine, per the manual, I brought it in for service. The first use after the service I noticed there was now water in the back of the hull around the battery (right side) and on the left side where the flush hose is. Through some investigation I determined that the flush hose was faulty. The check valve was sticking and water was coming up and leaking into the hull. Brought the machine into the dealer, they agreed and they replaced the whole flush hose unit.

The next use after the flush valve was replaced I noticed that there is still water on the right side only where the battery is. I sucked all the water out with a shop vac and ensured there was no residual water around. Still every time I use the Waverunner now there is water on the side of the battery. I brought the machine into the dealer and they tested and also confirm that there is small amounts of water in the machine. However, they have no idea where its coming from. They tell me that it could be from condensation on the hoses. However, if it was condensation causing this why would the machine have been bone dry the first 10 hours. During one of my leak tests I happened to run into a Marine Technician and he also confirmed the water but he could not tell where the water was coming from. He just said on a new machine like I have no water should be leaking in...especially the way I drive it.

I know its a long shot but does anyone know if there should be water in the hull like I am getting (2-4 cups. Not enough to even flow out of the drain plugs). Is this normal?

Also looking for advise on things to check that I could tell the dealer to check. They called Yamaha and they told them to check hoses, etc. Nothing was out of sorts. There is no water leaking in the machine when it is sitting in the water. Only while in operation.

Sorry for the long post!

Jersey CI
    I have always had water in both the ski's I have owned..........2007 FX always had water in the back compartment.....2012 no where near as much, but still a little gets in from some where. If out in the rough, then some water will leak through the seat.......other obvious place to check is the front hood seal.

gold coast australia
    Possibly leaking in through a ride plate bolt
    As that is side mine leaks on my Fz

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada
    Perhaps this test method will help. Strap the hull down to the trailer front and rear. Well secured so it cannot move up or forward on the trailer. Attach a second safety strap to the bow eye to ensure it does not shift up or forward.

Back it down the launch ramp until the jet pump intake is well submerged. Set the tow vehicle parking brake. You want the hull just about as deep as it can go without floating the trailer.

Make sure there is no debris or loose rocks under the jet pump intake.

Now you can take the seat off, then start the engine. With the hull well secured to the trailer you can monitor inside the hull for water leaks or a hose spraying. You can apply throttle, steering, even reverse.

Have a really bright, compact waterproof LED flashlight handy to illuminate the lower areas and back corners. Fine water spray or mist can be hard to see inside the hull.

Before you start the engine, watch for water possibly seeping in around the rub rail hull seams.

Also look at the drain plugs to verify they are actually sealing when closed. If the leak is slow it might take a while before you notice anything.

Thread Information