Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Do I really need to change the oil & filter every year...even though I barely used it

I bought a brand new Yamaha VX Cruiser a couple of years ago, and have followed the recommended maintenance schedule and changed the oil and filter for the past two years.... but this year, I only put 8 hours on the motor. I know the manual says to change the oil/filter every year... but really, do I have to change it after only 8 hours?

My machine has a total of 40 hours on it and only runs in fresh and clean water lakes in northern Minnesota.

Am I safe to skip a year on the oil change?

+1
    A new motor needs an oil change quicker than an old motor but ask yourself this question. Is it really worth NOT changing it? What is the risk vs. the reward?

I'm definitely leaning towards changing it... especially since you can't get all the oil out of the engine during a change anyway. You can only get out about 2.5 - 3 quarts when there is a total of 4 quarts in the engine. It seems it just makes sense to keep flushing in as much new oil as you can every year to keep it fresh as possible.

+1
    If the cost of a OEM oil filter and oil scares you find an alternative.

Also, is it best to change the oil in the fall as part of the winterization process, or do in the spring as part of the summerization process? ... or does it really matter that much?

+1
    As long as you have to do all the other winter maintenance things, changing the oil is not that much more work or expense. Especially seeing as to the cost of the ski.

+1
    I would change it as the winterization process. If you get any moisture from condensation in the oil, you don't want it sitting in there all winter.

+1
    I put 50-60 hours on my vx delux each year. Because you can't get all the oil out, I do a 25-30 hour oil change and then oil again with a filter at the end of the year. Maybe overkill but I've never lost an engine in any of my toys or vehicles by doing service sooner than recommended. An oil change is much better than a $4000 new engine. As mentioned, there can be moisture in the oil and also combustion by-products which can be detrimental to internal engine parts while sitting all Winter.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    I change mine as the summerazation process....but I some times break it out in Dec,Jan when we get a 70degree day lol. New oil will get moisture as well sitting all winter

I really wish Yamaha would have developed a better oil extraction design technology in their engines so we'd be able to get all the oil out. It does not give a warm fuzzy feeling knowing you're only able to replace 60-70% of bad/contaminated oil when you do an oil change.

I guess I'll be changing the oil and filter every year at a minimum...

Thanks for all your help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information