Check Engine light and message, led tool issues? VIDEO FIXED!

hi all, I'm trying to diagnose a 2002 Polaris virage I 800, the ski was running fine, took to lake one day and made it about 100 yards and ski seemed to go into limp mode, no power, no speed. warning light started flashing and check engine message, so I have read through k447 links and made the led diagnostic tool. problem is, the led is not readable to me, sometimes the blinks are so quick you cant count them and the 3 second starter blink is not there. the pauses between the blinks are not as pronounced as the video on k447 links. in the video the blinks are easily countable and the pauses very noticeable, not mine. anyone run into this before.
    Last edited by fastlane; 09-15-2014 at 08:00 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Something is not right.

Are you sure you have made the LED tester correctly? If it is drawing too much current the EMM might act strangely.

I am always careful to not overload the EMM signal which is why the tester circuit has a resistor inline with the LED.

Also verify that you connecting the LED tool to the correct two wires at the wire harness connector for the display.

ok, I used radio shack part # 276-0270 as you stated, put the red wire in the #2 pin and the black in the #4 pin in the harness that I removed from the back of the mfd. I have recorded a 1 min video that I'm going to try and upload in a few min.

I started the video as I inserted the lanyard. does this look normal? if so can someone give me some help deciphering the code, thanks

sorry all, I didn't realize that the video was not working, it its fixed now and hopefully someone can give me some advise.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Something is not right.
    Also verify that you connecting the LED tool to the correct two wires at the wire harness connector for the display.
    The positive LED wire goes into pin 2 (Red/Purple wire, Red/White on some models)), and the negative LED wire goes into pin 4 (Tan/Orange wire).
    Confirm the wire harness colors behind the pins to which you have connected the LED tester.

If you connect your LED tester directly to 12 volt battery power, does it light up and stay on continuously for more than a few seconds?

ok, double checked the connections, the positive wire is plugged into the #2 hole and it has a red/white wire. the negative is plugged into the #4 hole and the wire is tan/orange. this is also the harness that I unplugged from the back of the mfd. connected the led tester to a battery for 30 seconds and the light stayed on bright and did not blink or flicker. do you think this is a sign that the emm has an issue?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    ok, double checked the connections, the positive wire is plugged into the #2 hole and it has a red/white wire. the negative is plugged into the #4 hole and the wire is tan/orange. this is also the harness that I unplugged from the back of the mfd.

connected the led tester to a battery for 30 seconds and the light stayed on bright and did not blink or flicker. do you think this is a sign that the emm has an issue?
    It sure seems that way!

The rapid LED flickering suggests the EMM is internally unstable. My guess is that the internal power supply for the computer is not stable and is continually 'rebooting' portions the EMM electronics.

well at this point, I guess I will send the emm to dfi and see if they can find and correct the issue. thanks for you help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    ... I guess I will send the EMM to DFI ...
    DFI may no longer be the default repair service for Ficht EMM. Things may have changed over the course of 2014. For a long time DFI Technologies was effectively the only game in town.

It is not currently clear to me which of the now competing service(s) are to be recommended over others.

Harris has been making a strong effort to grow his EMM repair services.

Chet has never logged on here (as far as I know) and his new Marine Repair company is rarely mentioned regarding Polaris Ficht EMM repairs.

I have been told that DFI no longer accepts credit cards, which may be a red flag regarding the ongoing stability of the business.

Thread Information