Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New ski and first question!

Hey all! I picked up a 2014 GTR 215 and have ridden it a whole lot of 2 hours! I absolutely love this ski! Although break in procedures kind of suck ( staying low mph and varying throttle ect...) I have a couple questions. When can I start to tow with this? Tube and Wakeskate. I know with wakeskate you have to semi cruise but I think I can still manage to vary the throttle a bit. Also, with low hours, how do I go about winterizing and summerizing? I talked to the tech at my dealer and he said they will change the oil when I summerize it in the spring with a synthetic. BUT I know there is some break in oil in it now. I am hoping to get it up and over 5 hours before I winterize it. But still, it is a 10 hour break in. Will the oil change with synthetic oil harm the rest of the break in? I am stumped lol

+1
    to brake it in " brake in" oil, standard oil must be used
    if you put syn in before the brake in is done it will just take a lot longer to be fully broke in...

if you tow you still need to stick to the brake in rules

What oil is used for break in? Cant't I just have them replace it with the break in oil? The mechanic seemed surprised at my question. He said for sure there would need to be an oil change after the winter since it will have sat, but then he said to just change it with synthetic and consider it the first service? I am so confused lol I would assume filling it with the break in and then completing the first (second) service after the 10-15 hour mark would make more sense? But is it possible? I just really want to break this thing in properly!

+1
    I would ride ride and ride and get past the 10 hours for full break in now before letting it sit 'halfway' broken in for the winter. Also...you don't want to stay at low rpm's all the time. The engine is protected by the ecu during the 10 hour break in period to keep stupid people from doing stupid shit. lol. Vary your rpm's...never staying at one range for too long and short higher rpm bursts are important during this break in period. The ecu wont let you do anything you shouldn't be doing right now for these first 10 hours.

And congrats on the new GTR! I loved mine.

Thanks! I have read sooooo many differing ideals regarding breaking in a ski. I have broken in many outboards, and dirtbikes but never a jet ski! I know how important it is lol That is what makes me nervous! I see youtube videos of people getting on and just taking off like a raped ape, but I really just want to vary the rpm and take it semi easy. I am doing hard accelerations, just not past 30ish mph? I figure that is about half throttle? It seems a bit overkill though, running half throttle - 3/4 throttle for 10 hours! I felt like I was on it for half of a day almost nonstop and only logged 2.5 hours on the machine! I am planning on opening it up more this monday (35-45 mph), but still maintaining at the 3/4 throttle range.

Why did you sell your GTR??

+1
    short... wot blasts wont hurt
    towing the kids around will kill lots of time

I have just broken in mine last week (got 12 hours on it). I used various throttle positions and every once in a while did very short WOT runs and it runs like a champ! Got the first service done and dealer said engine is very healthy and compression is great! I say get it to the 10 hour mark, do first service and then let it rip and tow. Wouldn't want to gamble with expensive investment IMO

Quote Originally Posted by klepikovp View Post
    I have just broken in mine last week (got 12 hours on it). I used various throttle positions and every once in a while did very short WOT runs and it runs like a champ! Got the first service done and dealer said engine is very healthy and compression is great! I say get it to the 10 hour mark, do first service and then let it rip and tow. Wouldn't want to gamble with expensive investment IMO
    So your saying towing isnt a good idea yet?

+1
    Everyone has their own opinion regarding the engine break-in process. With that being said, nobody truly knows what the best process is. I'd wait to tow until you've reached the 10 hour mark though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information