Question Misfire on gp1300r

Newbie to owning. Bought a 2003 machine with 72 hours and it ran really fast until my son put the Yamalube in the fuel tank! Had system drained and now it runs with a misfire if you try to get above 4000rpm. Changed plugs and tested compression, spark etc. No fault codes even when warmed up. After running about 30 mins the speed has crept up a bit but problem persists.

Any help before I take to a service centre?

Cheers, Ken

only thing I can think of is fouled injectors?...how long was it run with the extra oil? how much did you ride AFTER it was remove? It may just continue to get better the more you use it

Quote Originally Posted by phumb View Post
    only thing I can think of is fouled injectors?...how long was it run with the extra oil? how much did you ride AFTER it was remove? It may just continue to get better the more you use it
    Sorry for responding late - I am back at work in Africa now.

It wasn't run at all, as such. My son called a mechanic and he drained the fuel tank and got it running. It runs well at idle and issues wouldn't really be noticed whilst the ski is on the trailer. I got home to try the machine and then noticed the issue as soon as I was in the water. I put in new plugs (The first cyl plug looked 'wet') and it ran OK for a few minutes. The plugs checked out OK after use.

The compression, spark etc. has all been verified and there are no fault codes on the panel.

I have run it for over an hour now and am getting some performance but it will not go over 4250 revs. This means, like you said, it could (is) getting better with use.

I am wondering if the fuel filter or injector/s are still affected. I have the workshop manual on disc here with me and will get in to it in some detail so when I get home in a month I can check things out in detail.

I believe the machine does have a connection for a diagnostic hook-up but I would like to think the issue is a basic fault, perhaps pre-existing but made worse by the oil in the fuel being a thousand times too rich and resulting in some damage or clogging of precision components.

I really appreciate your help as I am not finding anything else on the web that comes near to this particular set of circumstances.

Cheers, Ken

+1
    If the ski was not run with the oil in the fuel tank and has been drained and replaced, I think this performance issue may be coincidental. Since you've already checked compression, changed plugs, and have spark to all 3, we need to see if its really misfiring or not. Take the ski for a good ride with the seat off. Make sure the power valves are opening and closing the way they should. You can manually move the wheel fully counter clockwise (open) if they are inop and retest for top speed and rpm. Note: if they are inop and you turn it fully open, the low end power will be noticeably low but will reach full rpm and speed. Power valve servos do fail from time to time. If the power valves are working, then carefully touch each cylinder and notice if one is much cooler than the others. If one cyl is, then you know you do have a miss which needs further diag. If all cyls are equally warm and the power valves are working, you may have a cat con failure. They are known to eventually fail. Removing the failed converter and installing a "D" plate remedies that issue. Try those tests and let us know what you find.
    Last edited by Prism; 09-28-2014 at 10:00 AM.

Thread Information