Trouble with 03 Ultra 130

I just bought an 03 Ultra 130 DI. It runs great on the trailer; soon after it is in the water it goes into SLOW mode. A dealer looked at it and said the problem is in the EMM. The previous owner had it reconditioned (twice) by Advanced Engine Electronics. The problems still exists. Before I send it back for the 3rd time I would like to check everything that I can. I looked at all the basics and all is well.
    I live in Racine, WI and I am running out of season.
    Does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks for any help you can provide,
    Alboy

Banned User
    +1
    Most who either dont understand or want to work on the DI motors immediately blame the EMM. I am not very familiar with the Kawi DI but they are almost identical to the Polaris DI, whoch i very familiar with. First things to check are the things that can trigger the slow mode. Do you get any warning lights on the dash when it goes into slow mode?

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Most who either dont understand or want to work on the DI motors immediately blame the EMM. I am not very familiar with the Kawi DI but they are almost identical to the Polaris DI, whoch i very familiar with. First things to check are the things that can trigger the slow mode. Do you get any warning lights on the dash when it goes into slow mode?
    Hello Bryan,
    The first thing that happened was the idle dropped down, then the dash went out. When it came back on the voltage was low. It acted like the SLOW mode started the chain of events. It runs great and for as long as you want out of the water, I know there is no load, but it would still give a warning light if there was a problem.
    Right? I hope to get it in the water again if the weather warms up. I will watch for warnings.
    Thanks for the help,
    Alboy

Banned User
    +1
    Did it actually go into the SLOW or limp mode or was it just running badly? Usually if the limp mode is activated there is an associated warning light on the dash.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alboy View Post
    Did it actually go into the SLOW or limp mode or was it just running badly? Usually if the limp mode is activated there is an associated warning light on the dash.
    ... Do you get any warning lights on the dash when it goes into slow mode?
    The first thing that happened was the idle dropped down, then the dash went out. When it came back on the voltage was low.

It acted like the SLOW mode started the chain of events. It runs great and for as long as you want out of the water, I know there is no load, but it would still give a warning light if there was a problem. Right?

I hope to get it in the water again if the weather warms up. I will watch for warnings...
    If the display 'went blank' then there may be a problem with the main electrical system, not inside the EMM. I am not familiar with the Kawasaki display but I would expect that as long as it has proper battery voltage and the engine is running the display should never go blank.

Where did you see the low voltage indication? On the dash display?

Have you checked the engine grounds and wire harness ground connections? A bad engine ground can cause all sorts of strange things.

Same for the battery voltage circuits which power the display. Fuse or circuit breaker problems, weak or corroded splice connections, damaged or frayed wires, etc.

I spent some time looking at every electrical connection,the jet, everything I could think of .The ski is really in great shape for its age. I did not find anything obvious. It sure runs well on the trailer. I hope to get it in the water again this week and see what happens.

Hello all,
    I got the ski back in the water today. It ran about 2 minutes and went into SLOW mode. I had a red warning light and the check engine icon. got it back to the dock and started investigating. I unpluged the cooling water temp. sensor and got a different icon. I then unplugged the take air temp.sensor and got the same icon;plugged it back in and the warning stayed out. I tok it for a 10 minute ride and it did not go into the SLOW mode. It would only rev to 4200rpm and later up tp 4500. Not right but a lot better than it was doing.During the time it was running bad the tach would come and go.I dont know what this means,but we seem to be gaining on it.
    Please share any thoughts you may have.
    Thank you

8. +1 by:

+1
    The conditions which initiate SLOW mode are stator voltage above expected range, EMM internal temp above expected range, low oil level, water temp above expected range, and air temp above expected range. You need to access the EMM error codes to determine the fault. Make sure your using a name brand AGM battery that provides at least 12.5V and not an "el cheapo" version. This creates all kinds of wierd electrical problems. The Ficht system does not function well without a decent battery.

Thread Information