Thread: Gp1200r

Gp1200r

Alright, I have a 2000 Gp1200r , I had sbt send me and new motor two weeks ago and I have installed the new motor , all three carbs rebuilt, new fuel lines through whole ski, cleaned the gas tank also new gaskets on all exhaust. on Saturday September 4, 2014 did the break in as sbt asked me to no problem . Thursday September 9,2014 I ran 32:1 with amsoil intercepter I took it out for the second time it ran fine(fresh water) as well as the first . When I got it back and cleaned it up I decided to flush it any way so I did and while it was being flushed I realized it Idles at 4000 rpm out of the water and it started picking up close to 4500 so I shut it off and came home dried it off. I thought it was high so I called sbt Friday mourning and we talked and told me to adjust it down on the trailer so I tried Friday after noon. So Friday I got it rolled out the ski and got it started with water running and it picked up to 4K rpm so I turned the screw and nothing , so I turned it more it picked up so I truend it the other direction not any difference so its getting close to 6K at this point . So i hit kill button , keeps running, I pull kill leash it keeps running, I take the batter cables off keeps running, so I pull the plug wire keeps running, then I pull the rear spark plug then i shuts off finely. I thought may be it was me turning the adjust ment screw so I turned it back to the right a trurn then hook everything back up and tried agin, Same Thing it kept running till I pulled the spark plug. What the heck is going on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing I have done to this ski out side or new motor ,fuel line also carb rebuilt is I added a ground wire from the starter to the back right motor mount. Could this be it?????

Thanks guys any help would be great

+1
    thats called a lean run away... scary stuff

indicates and air leak either on the motor or carbs

+1
    Either you have the idle adjustment set too high (turns counterclockwise viewing from top to slow down) or you have a good size air leak. What is the idle rpm in the water? 1200-1300 or so is about right.
    The best way to adjust screw when hard to turn is to do it with ski off, open throttle with finger trigger a bit to take tension off the adjust screw, then turn it a half turn or so out (counterclockwise). Start and check rpm, shut down to adjust if needed.
    If that dosen't fix it then you probably have an air leak around the reed cages, intake gaskets, carb gaskets, or engine seals.
    The engine running after shut off is called lean runaway, do a search to find out about it.

You guy were both right. I took the carbs and reeds off and check every thing and cleaned . I laid a strait edge across the reed plate and there it was a gap in the middle so I got some permatex and follow directions . Ran it yesterday and it ran great, so we r good thanks guys!!!

Thread Information