Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris Genesis FFI

Been struggling with my 2000 Polaris Genesis FFI all summer.
    Moved to Virginia in 2007 with broken steering cable. Ski sat idle until this summer (2014) when the ultimatum was issued, "fix it or get rid of it".
    Pulled everything out of the hull, cleaned it all up, put everything back together, including new steering cable which I purchased back in 2007.
    Everything looks good, all things hooked back up. New fuel, new battery, new oil, new spark plugs (NGK PZFR6H). MFI wakes up sort of when it's supposed to, engine cranks like a monster, plenty of voltage during cranking.
    Of course, it doesn't start. It doesn't run the fuel pump ever. No spark at the plug.
    I sent the EMM to DFI Technologies in Orange Beach, AL. They returned it with a clean bill of health. They said they bench tested and boat tested it.
    I've hounded all postings for the Genesis FFI following all the checks and bypasses.
    Never saw anything that scared me (burnt items, discoloration inside the EMM, bits and pieces in the crank sensor, blown fuses, tripped breakers), but still it won't run.

Some key elements:

Fuel pump never runs unless I manually ground brown lead. I can do this all the way to the main EMM connector and fuel pump will run so the wire's good all the way to that point.

The MFI wakes up AFTER I let go of the Start/Stop button (or when I push one of the keys on the face of the unit).

I don't ever see any RPM's on the tach when cranking.

I'm still convinced something wrong in the EMM and would really like to take mine and plug into a working FFI ski to see if it is or not.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

We have missed you during all those years since 2007

Find a place to tap into and measure the voltage on the White/Red wires. This is the power feed to the injectors, but find some place where you can measure the voltage without unplugging any injectors.

Also make sure the loopback four pin connector near the EMM is actually connected together and does not have corrosion or a broken wire.

When engine is cranking the White/Red wire should have more than 20 volts DC, with black meter probe on engine ground.

If this voltage is weak then diagnostics go in one direction. If this voltage is above 20 volts we go in a different direction.

Well, before doing your recommended voltage check on the injector power feeds, I've done a couple things. First, I found a guy in Lancaster, VA who has a running 2000 Genesis FFI. I took my EMM and battery to his house. When I got there, hooked battery up and started with his EMM. Ran fine. Then I put my EMM in, again, started and ran fine (at idle). SO, when I got home, I pulled the engine back out. I ran all the electrical resistance tests found in the FFI section of the service manual . . . again. Everything tests fine. The stator coils' resistance read about 1.0 and it says they should be 0.4'ish ohms. I'm going to say since it's a less-than-perfect multimeter, it's close enough. I pulled the plug in the front of the stator cover and it's clean as a whistle in there. I had thought the stator magnets had flown apart, but that's just not the case.

Next step . . . I'm going to clean up the entire hull again (seems I have an oil leak somewhere while the ski just sits idle on the trailer in my garage) and put the engine back in. Why? It's VERY possible that I had low cranking voltage the first time I was trying to start it before I pulled the engine the first time. The second time I was trying to start it may be caused by a pinched injector wire under the water manifold.

Anything else I should try why I have everything out? Was going to spend some time tracing the entire wire harness and making sure every lead is working.

+1
    If the oil leak cause is not obvious (loose clamp, cracked hose) then you can use thin strips of clean white cotton fabric to identify the source. Tie cloth strips around each location where there is an oil hose joint.

The cloth will absorb the oil. If it is a slow leak it may take a few days for enough oil to seep out to highlight which cloth is absorbing oil.

On one of my Virage the oil leak source turned out to be the nipple on the actual oil tank. There was a ridge of plastic along the side of the nipple from when the tank was manufactured. Oil was seeping along that ridge and escaping past the clamped hose. I had to remove the oil tank and shave the ridge down to smooth to stop the oil leaking.

+1
    I found my oil leak was from the oil sending unit. The cap was not snug in the hole. I put a o-ring round the cap and a hose clamp around the neck and cap itself. (almost like a fernco fitting)Then had the tank sitting at a 45 degree angle to see if repair worked. Been holding for three day now with out a drop coming out.

JJ

Yes, the oil leak I had was seeping between the oil sender unit seal. Overfilled the reservoir.

BACK TO THE JET SKI: I now have it all back together. When I was putting everything back in, I checked every sensor, every fuse, every breaker. I've got the proper ohms on the crank position sensor and it does put out a voltage during cranking. However, the ski still will not run the fuel pump, spark the plugs, and of course won't start. I'm at your mercy and ready to follow the step-by-step troubleshooting.

Since I have the rubber boot slipped off the capacitor (had it checked too) I'm checking the voltage on the white/red wire there (positive input on the cap). During cranking, I have zero DC volts on the white/red. I looked at the four position loopback connector. There is only one male contact and it is in good shape.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rjolson View Post
    ... checking the voltage on the white/red wire there (positive input on the cap). During cranking, I have zero DC volts on the white/red. ...
    0 volts is very low (obviously).

I presume the stator 12-pin connector is properly plugged into the EMM. Unless the stator coils are open circuit (or shorted to ground) it sounds like the EMM power section has failed. Without the necessary voltage on White/Red there is no electrical power to run the Ficht system.

+1
    Ive had a bad tps cause nothing to work. Not sure about the tach signal or waking up the gauges but unplug the tps and see if it starts. its easy enough

Remember, this EMM worked fine (ski started right up) when I drove it to Lancaster, VA and tried in another Genesis FFI. I'll try the disconnecting the TPS tonight and recheck the stator wiring again. Checked stator once before and everything looked good. Looking inside the crank position sensor hole, it looks clean as a whistle (no debris). Thanks for helping.

Well, the 2000 Genesis FFI is a RUNNER! I hate to admit it, but I was my own worse enemy. When I started, the most likely culprit was a weak battery. So, I tear EVERYTHING out of that hull, clean everything up, check some of the key elements, reassemble, and it won't run still. Of course, this second time, I pull everything back out and check EVERYTHING when putting it back together. I even yanked the capacitor out and had it tested by an HVAC friend of mine. In retrospect, this time it was most likely the dead short I caused from crushing an injector's wire under the water manifold the first time I tore it down. So, with the engine back together again and cycle three not starting the 135hp, I was ready to sell it off. That was until I saw the stator connector quite a bit further out than the umbilical wiring harness. Flipped it over, she went in quite a bit further, and the 1165cc engine fired right up. Garage is a bit smoky and it seems I didn't get one of the exhaust hoses quite on all the way, but it's small change to a whole summer of tearing my hair out.

Thanks to the great commonwealth of Virginia, I need to get my boater's license completed and then take the little rocket out for a spin. Next summer I'll get my Shuttlecraft Sport Deck back in shape and have some wonderful weekends on the water.

Thanks everyone, it was pleasing to know there's a whole community of people still supporting these discontinued skis.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information