Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

2006 RXP, will not power up, no beeps, no lcd display

Hey guys, I've been lurking on the forum here for a little while now, gathering information. And I hate that my first post is me asking for help, but I am at out of ideas.

Off and on for some time now, my ski would flash 12v low on the dash. Just recently, it began flashing 12v low as well as throw the p0562 code for low voltage. I rode it yesterday afternoon, and it seemed to run fine except occasionally, after the normal beep beep when the key is placed on the dess post, the motor wouldn't turn over when I pushed the start/stop button. Then, the VTS stopped working, and at the same time, the depth gauge readout on the lcd started to flash like it was trying to determine water depth. Odd since the ski doesn't have the depth sensor and the depth portion of the lcd has never displayed anything before.

Now, last night while trying to troubleshoot and determine whether the reg/rec or the stator was the culprit for the low voltage code, the ski started and ran a few times, then it would not power up again. No beeps, no lcd, no fuel pump prime. The last time it did start, the idle was a little high, and was wandering a bit. My intention was to solve the p0562 code, then check into the VTS, however my work was cut short.

As it sits right now, the battery is good showing 14v. All fuses and their holders on the mpem are good, nothing burned. The hot wire to the mpem has power, as well as the hot wire at the reg/rec, and their 30A fuses are good and in dielectric grease. All plugs and connectors are solid, plugged, and and are filled with dielectric grease. Plugs at the ecu were checked and they are secure and sealed tight with dielectric grease. The three grounds on the front of the motor are tight, clean, and covered with sealer. The motor will turn over strong if I arc across the stater relay.

My first thoughts were a bad dess post. I tried a jumper across the black and black/yellow wires for the post, as well as a magnet on top of the post itself. I also tried my learn key. Nothing will make the ski power up.

Anyone have thoughts as to what to check next? Ski is 2006 RXP 215 Thanks, Brian

+1
    What voltage are you seeing while trying to turn the engine over? Batteries can show a full charge, but fall on their face when a load is placed. It may be dropping when you push the button. If the voltage is dropping, try another battery first (if you have access to one).

That or a bad DESS post, but I don't think that will be the cause for a 'low voltage' display, though it makes me wonder since it will turn over (but not start?) if you jump the relay.

+1
    Thank you for the quick reply!

I did suspect the battery at first. Not sure what the voltage goes to when I arc across the start relay. I didn't have enough hands to check that. haha I did run a set of jumper cables to a second good battery, but still no power up with the key installed.

As for the dess post, I can hear the reed switch click when I put a magnet to it. I also tried a jumper on the black and black/yellow wires for the dess post to eliminate the possibility of the reed switch inside the post not making contact. If I understand correctly, either of those methods should power up the mpem, the lcd, and give me a single beep even if the dess post or key was bad.

Is that correct? Thanks

+1
    Update:

I cleaned both plugs on the ecu with terminal cleaner, as well as reapplied fresh dielectric grease. The ski now has power again and seems to be functioning correctly, with the exception of the VTS.

I'm most likely going to order the trim fix unit for $80 to eliminate the stock VTS circuit board. It is guaranteed for life! Not a bad deal since you dont have to remove and replace the whole VTS unit. But before I do that, I've heard that the ecu is known to disable the trim function. To enable it, you need to hook to BUDS at a dealer.

Any way to test if I'm getting a signal to the VTS board before I drive 2 hours to the nearest dealer?

+1
    Does the trim indicator show up on the display (when powered up?)

If it does not, then u will need to hook to BUDS to get it turned back on.

On another note, I've had a loose/broken pin in the MPEM on my 05' act similar to yours before. Every time I would grab the wires to the Big front connector on the MPEM it would beep, or power up with the key on.

Where abouts are u located? Someone may live near u, that could help trouble shoot your issues

+1
    No trim indicator shows on the lcd. I figured I would have to get it turned back on, and have the depth gauge turned off. What are the chances that my VTS board is still good, and it just got disabled? There is no water or corrosion in my VTS unit, and it was working fine all day. The VTS quit working, and the depth gauge turned on at the same time. And what exactly causes the ecu to disable it?

When I bought my ski, I was lucky to find a seller that took very good care of it. Apparently, one of his close personal friends is a SeaDoo mechanic at the dealership. All of my electrical connections and plugs are clean and have dielectric grease in them. Even all of the fuses are lightly greased in their holders in the mpem. I pulled the ecu plugs today and they looked a little dry, so I cleaned and greased them. Seemed to fix my issue with no power, and possibly my 12v low issue. Water test will tell the real story.

I am in Moultrie, Ga. I'm about 60 miles due north of Tallahassee. I'll update my profile.

+1
    No trim on dash, will need to be hooked to buds to re activate it. (VTS should be fine) When ski looses power for too long (disconnected Batt.) the ECU can loose the settings, and go back to default settings.

I had a very similar set of issues except for the low volts part. My Dess post wasn't giving a constant ground to the mpem. Pycho rxp helped me out one night with a new post and harness. That solved my issues. I also had to reprogram the vts afterwards.

+1
    I talked with the two closest dealers today. One of techs that I talked with said that the information I had been given was wrong, and that he had never heard of the ecu disabling the vts or enabling the depth gauge on its own. He said it was going to be difficult to find the problem with BUDS and that I'd have to leave the ski with them for several days to diagnose. He is a certified BRP seadoo tech....

The second dealer I talked to said they see several skis with this exact problem every year. Apparently the first screen that pops up when you hook to BUDS is where you enable/disable features. He said it would take about 30 minutes to do and be about $50. Not too bad! I know where I'll be going. Just sucks that it's a 3 hour drive, one way, to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by endeavor_635650 View Post
    I talked with the two closest dealers today. One of techs that I talked with said that the information I had been given was wrong, and that he had never heard of the ecu disabling the vts or enabling the depth gauge on its own. He said it was going to be difficult to find the problem with BUDS and that I'd have to leave the ski with them for several days to diagnose. He is a certified BRP seadoo tech....

The second dealer I talked to said they see several skis with this exact problem every year. Apparently the first screen that pops up when you hook to BUDS is where you enable/disable features. He said it would take about 30 minutes to do and be about $50. Not too bad! I know where I'll be going. Just sucks that it's a 3 hour drive, one way, to get there.

Or or get a candoo pro and do it ur self only 400 bucks pretty easy then u can reset maitenance light check codes too and program keys

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information