+1

Lightweight lithium battery

I've been asking Battery Joe's to start carrying lightweight lithium batteries with a decent cca rating. They now have (at least in Lubbock) a 360cca model for $230. It's hilariously light. I dropped it in today, engine started without issue. It started raining or I'd be on the water... I'm not a fan of 'finding' runoff debris. Been there done that.
    If it peters out after a few uses, I'll report back. Until then, I've saved a considerable amount of weight off the nose and expect some speed gains.

+1
    I personally think the only guys who will benefit from the weight savings on something like this is the standup Freestyle/freeride guys...And for the cost, I will find something else to strip off my ski to save the weight.... just my .02

3. +1 by:

+1
    I bought a ballistic lithium battery just to see. Sick how light and powerfull they are. If you have ever had a lead acid batty come loose. You will appreciate these batteries.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    ... a 360cca model for $230. It's hilariously light. I dropped it in today, engine started without issue...

If it peters out after a few uses, I'll report back...
    Be very careful about CCA and other 'specifications' when comparing Lithium batteries to lead-acid batteries.

It is VERY common for the lithium battery to label itself with 'lead battery equivalent' numbers, sometimes posted as PBEQ numbers. These 'equivalent' numbers are not actual specifications and the battery will not actually produce that amount of electricity.

What the marketing guys are saying is that their lithium battery can be used instead of a lead battery of the posted spec. Since lithium batteries produce their peak power and degrade differently, the marketing guys are sort of half correct.

If you want to know the actual cranking amp capacity, reserve Amp-Hours capacity and such for a given lithium battery product you will need to dig past the lead battery equivalent numbers (the big print marketing numbers on the front label) and find the actual specs for that lithium battery. Sometimes even the manufacturer web site doesn't list the actual specs.

This can become important if, for example, you need to run the bilge pump or your music system for an extended time period, then have the engine still to be able to start. Or the charging system fails and you need the battery to power the ignition system all by itself while you ride the ski back to home port.

+1
    I have found the lithium batteries with the correct cranking amps work good for the pwc market
    where you can save at least 10 lbs over a lead acid battery
    but are not the best choice for a vehicle that has to start in very cold weather

+1
    Different ratings? Sounds about right. Next time I'm on the water I'll run my a bilge on the trailer to see if it'll last any decent amount of time, then try to start her. If it will not, back to the heavy ones and I'll have a somewhat light paper weight to play with. lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    Different ratings? Sounds about right. Next time I'm on the water I'll run my a bilge on the trailer to see if it'll last any decent amount of time, then try to start her...
    Bilge pumps use less battery power when running dry as opposed to actually pumping water.

A brand new, fully charged lithium battery will naturally have more reserve capacity and more starting 'juice' than an aged battery (even if the older battery has been 'charged').

I have not seen much information that is not testimonial or anecdotal regarding how well these Powersports lithium batteries perform after they have been in service for a season or two. Are they all Lithium-Iron (LiFe) chemistry now?

The manufacturers know, or should know, exactly how much energy their product holds, how it degrades over time, and so on.

Certainly you can 'test' your new lithium battery with a bilge pump draw. Might be a long time to sit there holding the button down

The trick is to do repeatable battery testing over time. Not so easy to do without bench test equipment and consistent testing methodology.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    I have found the lithium batteries with the correct cranking amps work good for the pwc market..
    What do you mean by 'correct'?

Thread Information