Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2012 RXPX Build

2012 RXPX Build

I set out 2 two seasons ago to build the best performing near stock RXPX I could build. Now two years later I have gone about as far as I care to go at this point. The final combination I ended up with is...

Custom VTech tune tweaked by myself and Jonatan

Custom cold air intake fabricated from thin wall 3.5" aluminum tubing and standard silicone bends available from any number of hose suppliers all over the net. The rice turbo guys know all about this stuff.

A Dynojet CMD/Autotune2/LCD-200 that always runs in closed loop at anything below 8000 RPM

One 2.5" rear air vent

The stock front air vent hoses have been shortened to get better air flow to the.

I run a High resolution Candoo GPS feeding the CMD acceleration data.

The oil vent has been removed from the intake tract.

The injectors are VT1100

VTech Logger

The ride plate holes are still stock.
    The prop is stock.
    Ware ring still original.
    Blower totally stock and original.
    The intercooler is stock 2012 but I have a trick 2010 as a backup on the shelf.

I log water pressure in the cooling system with the CMD.
    I watch fuel pressure with a digital fuel pressure gauge mounted on the right mirror. Pump and FPR is stock running about 59 PSI at idle, 56.5 at WOT.

The results:

The stock blower pulls 12 lbs of boost at 8450 RPM

From idle and 0 MPH to 7000 RPM takes less than .6 sec

From idle and 0 MPH, bounce a few 1/10s of a sec off the rev limiter and then settle in a 7900 in 1.3 sec

0-60 is just under 4 sec if the water conditions are right.

Top speed on a 70 degree day with 75 degree water is 75 MPH on the stock dash. 72.5 MPH on several different GPSs at 8460 RPM when the rev limiters come in and hold the RPM down to about 8430 RPM. The Vtech rev limiter is set to 8400 in the software. Originally, in similar slightly water the totally stock ski would be challenged to get over 63 MPH.

I would like to thank the guys at from Dynojet (several people), Jamie from FuelMotoUSA, Nils at Motec, Jonatan at VTech, Jeff at Candoo and Phil at MegalogviewerHD for all the help. Note: Most all of the stuff I used can be purchased thru Jerry in the store. The final tune is available for free from VTech. Note that the tune he has is calibrated for the stock intake. My CAI changes the tune a little.

I also owe Paolo and Cory huge as they taught me a ton tuning there skis. And sharing what they had learned from years of racing in the pro ranks.

http://www.nbs-stl.com/RxpxTuning/DS...8Medium%29.JPG

http://www.nbs-stl.com/RxpxTuning/DS...8Medium%29.JPG

Next year, I most likely get a big intercooler to try to get the heat of summer from killing about 250 RPM.

The cold air intake really surprised me at the results. The mid range gain 2 sec out from a throttle stab out of the hole was huge.

Have fun tuning.

Andy
    Last edited by whittlebeast; 06-12-2015 at 04:21 PM.

+1
    What u think was the cause for not exceeding 63 mph before the mods?

Quote Originally Posted by OP. LOCK View Post
    What u think was the cause for not exceeding 63 mph before the mods?
    Apparently there is a speed limiter that comes in when the front of the ski is bouncing. VTech removes that limiter. Slightly rough water will trigger this.

In the same water conditions, my ski now tops out around 70.

Andy

+1
    Nice work Andy, more mods!! Haa

+1
    No Valvetrain? retainers?

+1
    So if you have a CMD doing the adjustments, are you using the VTech logger only for visual logging?

I will soon be in the market for the VT logger (and injectors) if I plan to take it to the next level. I'd like to see how far I can go with a stock SC (& stock plate). Throwing a bunch of parts at something is easy, but squeezing out the pulp can be more of a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturm215 View Post
    He rides in flat water and while it is a good insurance policy, not mandatory if pump is constantly connected and rarely tickle limiter.

ps. I appreciate what you are trying to do here, but 2 years of work for 72.5mph?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    So if you have a CMD doing the adjustments, are you using the VTech logger only for visual logging?

I will soon be in the market for the VT logger (and injectors) if I plan to take it to the next level. I'd like to see how far I can go with a stock SC (& stock plate). Throwing a bunch of parts at something is easy, but squeezing out the pulp can be more of a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturm215 View Post
    He rides in flat water and while it is a good insurance policy, not mandatory if pump is constantly connected and rarely tickle limiter.

ps. I appreciate what you are trying to do here, but 2 years of work for 72.5mph?
    Regarding speed, I am addicted to cornering and clean acceleration off corners. This is also my wife's ski so absolute reliability is huge. My best friend has a mostly stock 2012 RXPX and thinks his feels lethargic after riding mine. I came from an autocross background. I am 57 now and getting off at speed does not sound fun. I tried it once. I was doing about 70 when it bow hooked and took out my ankle.

If you go to my youtube channel, you will see how I ride on a typical day. I have a bid orange ball under the hood just for practicing.

see

or

The CAI really helped the throttle response / RPM off corners compared to those videos.

I have a set of Ty retainers here but need to put them in.

Andy

Regarding logging.

I use the CMD/LCD-200 for high speed logging of AFR, pump pressure, injector duty cycle...

I use the Vtech logger for throttle mapping, IAT, Engine temp...

I hope to use the new Dynojet POD 300 for watching AFR, RPM, Speed and Pressures from the seat.

I use a QStarz GPS and recently added a Candoo GPS to log acceleration and speed.

Andy

+1
    This is your wifes ski? What do you drive then?

Here is a screen shot of comparing the two GPSs on the same ride.

http://www.nbs-stl.com/RxpxTuning/Ac...ingWithGPS.PNG

Note the wobble in the RPM on the top plot, That is the rev limiter setting in as detected by the CMD. It is really apparent on the VTech logger.

Andy, my ski is a 2001 spring seat XPL. When my wife comes along for and afternoon ride, she always rides the RXPX.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information