+1

Two men spent night on NY island after jetski crash

Very lucky, the water can get pretty nasty in that area.

http://nypost.com/2014/09/14/men-eje...n-nyc-islands/

+1
    Article:

Two pals thrown from a Jet Ski swam to separate tiny islands between Brooklyn and Staten Island — where they spent a wet, chilly night before being rescued Sunday, authorities said.
    One shivering victim was saved by an NYPD helicopter crew that lowered a scuba diver and basket to him and hoisted him to safety, cops said.
    “This should be a cautionary tale to others about going out near dark and taking too many risks,” a law-enforcement source told The Post, noting that the pair “were lucky.”
    The duo — identified as Sergey Khoroshev, 47, of South River, NJ, and Timur Bekbulatov, 29, of Brooklyn — told cops they had shoved off from the Marine Basin Marina in Gravesend at around 7 p.m. on Saturday night, police said.
    The men were cruising through choppy water off of Staten Island when they suddenly wound up in the drink, according to police. They then drifted apart and had to swim to safety.
    Khoroshev made it to the shore of man-made Swinburne Island, which is about the size of a football field. Bekbulatov, however, washed up on the rocks of the West Bank Lighthouse in the middle of the bay.
    A tugboat operator called 911 after spotting Bekbulatov at around 8 a.m. on Sunday morning. He was rescued by an FDNY boat crew that happened to be patrolling nearby.
    Once on board, he told his rescuers about Khoroshev — and an NYPD helicopter was sent to search for the other man.
    Khoroshev was spotted at 8:55 a.m. waving to the helicopter as it approached. When rescued, he told cops he was cold.
    “He had a life vest on and that’s probably what saved him,” a source said.
    Both men were treated for exposure at Staten Island University Hospital and released.
    The Jet Ski crashed onto a third island about 13 miles east of the Verrazano Bridge.

+1
    I'm curious why either swam to an island before attempting to swim to the ski...? I'm glad they're OK but sounds like part of the story is missing.

4. +1 by:

+1
    So, they took off at sunset. Neither of them swam to get the ski and swam/drifted further away to shore instead?
    No one had a phone or radio ( probably left on the ski)?

idiots like these guys just create negative views of the pwc world.
    Let me guess, no boaters safety cert either. Smh.

Possible they forgot to attach the lanyard to themselves? It's amazing how stupid people can set off a series of events that seem so improbable.

7. +1 by:

+1
    "Let me guess, no boaters safety cert either. I admit, I never, ever think of the lics/certificates now required by most states - guess I'm telling my age. But I'm so glad these rules have not applied to me...

+1
    Boaters class is pointless anyway. These people need a dose of common sense. Hey Pete you coming to Newburgh tomorrow?

Thread Information