Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Super charger rebuild.

Hi guys just perchased all the parts I need to replace the stock valves in my GTX 185 Including the timing tools.

So with that I'm thinking of doing a full supercharger rebuild aswell since I'm on with it! I've seen a rebuild kit on eBay that states its a 200hrs rebuild kit! (I thought it was every 100hrs! Can you get a 200hr kit or is this just bollox? )

also it looks simple to do but is it as easy as it looks? The only hard bit I can see is removing and replacing the bearings themselfs! Have any of you guys rebuilt your own supercharger and if so how did you find it? How did you tackle the removel and refitting of the bearings?

Huge thanks jamie

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fosta View Post
    Can you get a 200hr kit or is this just bollox? )
    Seadoo marketing bollox.... this rebuild kit is rated by Seadoo for 200 hours.
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=340

Regardless, you will still want to rebuild it every 100 hours, or soon thereafter.

+1
    When seadoo changed from 100 to 200 hours between the sc rebuilds they didn't change the bearings which is the weak point in the setup. I think /and might be wrong/ that to be on a safe side you should stick to 100 hours between rebuilds. Bearing failure is something I /most likely everybody/ don't want to face.

For the rest I have no experience since I use Jerry for that part

100hrs max - don't care what the marketing team say, we know how marketeers bend the truth. Not worth it for the small cost of prevention over the catastrophic cost of cure!!

5. +1 by:

+1
    like the guys say, every 100 hours. Understand, as easy as some make it supercharger rebuilding is super critical, if you are unsure of anything or how something goes your better off sending it to jerry. For 75 bucks labor its worth it.

I'm at 121 hours ,and it's been great so far. I had no major issues or problems. I am still on stock supercharger! No rebuilt yet! Trying to hit 150th hr before winter hit us!

+1
    At your rate, you will hit 150hrs before the day is done. Stop going back and forth to Buffalo.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmcd View Post
    I'm at 121 hours ,and it's been great so far. I had no major issues or problems. I am still on stock supercharger! No rebuilt yet! Trying to hit 150th hr before winter hit us!
    That's scary! I know you feel like your protected as your under warranty, but your dealer will most likely not do what's needed to the engine if that thing shits a bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    like the guys say, every 100 hours. Understand, as easy as some make it supercharger rebuilding is super critical, if you are unsure of anything or how something goes your better off sending it to jerry. For 75 bucks labor its worth it.
    I'm from the uk mate so postage to send and return is really expencive! I could get a company over here to do it but to be honest I'm quite handy and love to tackle things myself! It also means I won't dread the 100hr service knowing I have to send it away and wait for days or weeks for its return so I can hit the water again.

I taught myself to rebuild. I first read all SC related threads on GH back to front to get the unofficial low down, then bought only genuine OEM rebuild kit and ALL recommended lubes (important). I had to import many of them, but they last many re-builds. (Hundreds in some cases).

Then I invested in really good SC re-build tools; R&D plate, Riva multi, solid Torx sockets, ACCURATE torque wrench (in the tighest range) etc. Plus you'll need a good press too so you can remove and re-fit bearings.

Finally, your working practice and workspace need to be immaculate. Almost hygienic.

If you do all this you're on the way to doing it properly.

Many will tell you their stories of running 100hrs plus, many will tell you their money saving re-build tips, be very careful. The SC spins in excess of 45000 rpm, they are not forgiving of even the slightest shortcut or re-buiding error. Get it wrong and it'll bite you instantly. A grenaded SC is an ugly, expensive and (on many older ski's) a terminal end for the engine, given the uneconomical cost of repair.

I've now re-built many many SCs, my own and friends, but still each time I treat it like surgery.

You must be pedantic, patient, able to follow instructions and have mechanical empathy, then you'll enjoy the challenge and satisfaction of pulling the charger and rebuilding it and riding within 24hrs (allowing for Loctite to cure).

Go for it, but DON'T cut corners.

This is why many on that side of the pond leave it to Jerry, he's learnt the curve and consistently delivers 100%, no if's, no but's.

But for us poor EU relations, either pay a dealer or teach yourself.

Enjoy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information