Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Anyone had this issue??!! 08 rxtx plastic timing cover

2008 rxtx. Was getting 12 volt low. New battery and new rectifier. Checked ohms on stator and everything failed. So out came the engine and look what I found, breather valve was also damaged and the metal plate was sitting in bottom of cover as well. I can only assume this happened by poor workmanship? Ski only hit 62 mph so I also adjusted timing that seemed to be off. 100 hrs on boat and this was happening ever since I purchased it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	341924  

+1
    You should change the timing chain and anything that looks damaged. You don't want to gamble with the chain. I have never come across that but you never know if someone was in there and messed up

Quote Originally Posted by richte18 View Post
    2008 rxtx. Was getting 12 volt low. New battery and new rectifier. Checked ohms on stator and everything failed. So out came the engine and look what I found, breather valve was also damaged and the metal plate was sitting in bottom of cover as well. I can only assume this happened by poor workmanship? Ski only hit 62 mph so I also adjusted timing that seemed to be off. 100 hrs on boat and this was happening ever since I purchased it.
    Same thing happend to my px. Cleaned it all out and seems good to go.

+1
    did you find the big flat washer ????

The person who put it together, more then likely forgot to put the thrust washer in. The dealer here in Canada did it to the seadoo I bought here off a guy and no one new on till that happen. I was so pissed and they looked at me and said I DIDN'T DO IT. Man I wish. Oh did I wish. Anyway you will have to take the PTO off just to make shore its not down there. Sucks. But better safe then sorry. And once fixed clean her up good because there oil in everything now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	341930  

+1
    Ive been seeing this more and more. The plastic cover normally snaps into the cam sprocket and the tops valve holds the trust washer in. But the plastic covers are getting worn out over time and don't snap into the cam sprocket securely causing it to fall out. Or someone didn't put the thrust washer back in

+1
    He's also missing the rubber bellow on the end of the breather tube. If that wasn't put back on then there ya go...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    Ive been seeing this more and more. The plastic cover normally snaps into the cam sprocket and the tops valve holds the trust washer in. But the plastic covers are getting worn out over time and don't snap into the cam sprocket securely causing it to fall out. Or someone didn't put the thrust washer back in
    Why would you ever need to remove the plastic cover off the cam sprocket?? It's probably a one time use, like everything else!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturm215 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    Why would you ever need to remove the plastic cover off the cam sprocket?? It's probably a one time use, like everything else!
    You don't really need to remove it, but I have seen when removing the cam sprocket that the plastic piece is very "loose" so I just start putting new ones on with a new seal on the tops valve. Cheap insurance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information