Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

enough interest for Honda parts??

I still believe the potential for these skis is there. I have made a name for myself building QUALITY parts, usually for half of what anyone else sells parts for for the cars my machine/welding shop specializes in(AboveFab)

Things such as strait exhaust for around $200, intercooler kids for around $350, innovative parts for example. BUT if the demand is not there, then I'll stick with one off stuff for my ski. There expensive to fix but well worth it in my opinion. My goal is to have a reliable bolt on turbo kit for these skis

+1
    I think aftermarket replacements for common failure items would be a good bet. A full exhaust system Manifold->turbo->out, could be a popular item. Both manifold and turbo are common failures and expensive to replace $1K each. A performance replacement setup would give owners an option. Being 7 years out of production now, the demand will continue to decline as skis fail and are parted out/scrapped. A stock replacement of these though are $2K+, so a performance equivalent is an attractive alternative.
    The ECU limitation plus the fact that extra speed is complicated and expensive in Hondas, will also prevent most from folks from investing in Hondas for a super fast ski. There are a lot out there and they have good value when running well. If someone gave me a Honda for free that needed a manifold, turbo, and ECM. I wouldn't drop the $3K+ needed to get it running. I'd part it out, so in my opinion, there is a ceiling for what most would put into a Honda at this point.

I agree, but there is so much that could be done to get a higher top speed on these things. Just hasn't been pushed. And rpm limitations I think can be overcome by a prop change.
    BUT if the demand isn't there, its just not there. Just really sucks because I believe these to be one of the best skis ever made, reliability and power(aside from the turbo issues which are fixable)

+1
    Supra the hp isn't what's limiting the top end of ski....... So to attempt to throw parts at this skies will not get you in the 70+ range...
    Only 2or 3 have made it in the 70s.. 2of which had a $3k motorcycle head installed the other was a offshore racer with a $3k motek ecu, big turbo, and hull mods...but all of them thru reliability out the window

+1
    But to get high mph you have to redesign the hull of the ski....
    Or buy a 15x
    Or a blown up gpr and do a Honda Motor in it

Quote Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
    But to get high mph you have to redesign the hull of the ski....
    Or buy a 15x
    Or a blown up gpr and do a Honda Motor in it

Honda turbo swap to GPR would be interesting. Many other engines have been tried. I think the other options may be faster and cheaper to obtain; like RXP or SHO/SVHO engines. They also have more support for upgrades.

I agree with what you guys say 100% on the hull, however revamping just the rails by filling in the under rails I bet would help a TON. So much of the ski sits in the water and is being "drug" while trying to go forward.
    and I have a gpr hull(whole ski actually), I WISH I could find a wrecked 12x! Or I could throw it in my tigershark(although the hulls look strangly similar...)
    we are lucky that we can make the hp easily and reliably

+1
    @ singledsupra : What should you ask for an exhaust-manifold to turbo , and from turbo to outlet ?

I don't understand your question. If it is what would they sell for, the manifold I am not sure, I would have to see how I would cool it, etc..
    As for the exhaust, I would imagine $250 for the exhaust. The cheapest I have found so far has been $459

+1
    Maybe a tip for you : Exhaust heat wrap .

http://www.designengineering.com/con...ors-cool-quiet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information