Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Question about OEM outdoor covers.

So I recently bought two RXTs ( '05, '06 )that came with the factory black outdoor covers. When it rains the foot-wells fill up with water. Are these supposed to be water tight or is this normal? I know they have some vents on the sides but the amount of water that comes in seems like there is no cover on them at all. Are these just worn out, or normal?

Mine is from 2012 and pisses in water, I think they're really only dust, sun and light scratch damage covers. Mines OEM too. The problem increases when I tow with it on (I know, I know it's not supposed to be used when towing).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rattlsnak View Post
    So I recently bought two RXTs ( '05, '06 )that came with the factory black outdoor covers. When it rains the foot-wells fill up with water. Are these supposed to be water tight or is this normal? I know they have some vents on the sides but the amount of water that comes in seems like there is no cover on them at all. Are these just worn out, or normal?

Normal, they are not waterproof, footwells will fill up with water. Mine is on the lift all summer, after it rains, the footwells have water in them.
    I have tried Canavas and other waterproofers, none work because the sun destoys it in about a week anyway.

The cover is to prevent Sun damage, that destroys skis, Rain , not so much

Now, mine did finally fail (dry rot) and replaced it with the premium CoverCraft cover. Far cheaper than OEM, slightly lighter material, but it has been waterproof for the summer season so far! Something the OEM never was

+1
    Not meant to be waterproof..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rattlsnak View Post

Normal, they are not waterproof, footwells will fill up with water. Mine is on the lift all summer, after it rains, the footwells have water in them.
    I have tried Canavas and other waterproofers, none work because the sun destoys it in about a week anyway.

The cover is to prevent Sun damage, that destroys skis, Rain , not so much

Now, mine did finally fail (dry rot) and replaced it with the premium CoverCraft cover. Far cheaper than OEM, slightly lighter material, but it has been waterproof for the summer season so far! Something the OEM never was
    Does the covercraft type come form fitted around the handlebars and mirrors, etc. like the OEM? And yes, they seem to be @$100 cheaper!

+1
    Here's a recent thread on this same topic:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...53#post2460353

+1
    This is probably a stupid question but do you guys trailer the ski to ramp with cover on? It would be a one way thing since no point in putting it back on after. I just bought a new ski that hasn't touched water yet and being somewhat in the detailing world im pretty anal as far as ski imperfections and paint damage lol.

+1
    I don't, but my local ramp is only about 8 miles away. When I have traveled long distance, I did not cover it, as I was concerned my non-OEM cover would mar the finish. I'm real close to buying a Poppy brand cover. Going to talk to my bud who has had OEM covers for the last couple of years and see what he thinks first. I know he did recently comment he had to replace one due to ripping.

+1
    I got a few ramps near me in the 6-10m range. I bought a new oem cover and put it on ski on the drive home, looks like it holds up pretty well for street driving. I will probably tow it with cover and see how it works out at highway speeds.

+1
    When I tow mine with the cover on, I put a very nice 1000 thread count sheet between the ski and cover. It seems to stop the chaffing.
    My sleds have a flannel bra that Yamaha made that goes between. Since I don't trailer the sleds much I might try one on the ski, but it sayes Yamaha on it. The SD might get pissed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information