Humps In My Intake Grate!!!!!!!

I was getting ready to seal my pump shoe today and decided to do a quick inspection of the intake grate bolted to the she this is what i found,,on one side the shoe and intake are almost completely true with each other,,,the other side has a terrible high place (hump) at the front of it,,whrn you look at it from a level position you can actually see the hump!!! this would almost certainly rom MPH, i took a straight edge and ran it from front to back on each side to give a illustration of what im talking about,,im going to sand it flat with a belt sander then polish the sand marks out,,,i would think you would get your best performance #`s if the intake and shoe were perfectly even and flat from front to back..anyone ever seen this before?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gpr 1 013.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	21085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gpr 1 010.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	21086  

Bridge City, Texas
    That is common on the after market intake grates, usually the casting on them is pretty bad. I don't see a need to use the part of the plug kit that goes in the side of the shoe where it matches up with the intake grate. If you do use it you will need to grind on the rubber to make it flush with the shoe so the intake grate won't stick up out out of the shoe once mounted. Either way before I would grind on the shoe or intake I would have the plug in place if you are going to use that part of it and the intake grate mounted on the shoe so you don't accidently grind to much off of either one.

yes at first i thought it was the seal causing it to stick up like this,,so i removed it and its the same result,,i had already ground the rubber piece down flush with the shoe,,i was thinking leaving it the way it is will rob MPH.

Sammamish Washington
    mine was line this.

Texas City, Texas
    BEFORE YOU DO ANY GRINDING, be sure to check the alignment on the inside as well. The intake and the shoe should also match at the ramp. if the intake sets to low at the ramp then there could be turbulence inside. You might have to clean up the mating surfaces of the shoe and the intake... the intake in particular.

Thread Information