Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Spark Drive Shaft and Engine Alignment

Guys,

I am looking for some pointers on getting the drive shaft on the spark and engine to line up. We pulled out an engine as well as the entire drive line (pump etc). Time to put it back in. Was planning on just following directions in the big shop manual and they are pretty detailed until you get to the install part. It takes you through all the steps until you get to the install and alignment part. It states align the shaft and engine...says if its out of alignment to do it again until in aligned. Makes it sound like once you put the tool on you just put the drive shaft tool through it and align everything best you can then tighten down the engine mounts. Seems pretty vague. Also the engine seems to be tilted back towards the back of the ski and the front raised by shims. I would assumer this is to match the angle of the shaft to the pto? do you just eyeball it with the shaft tool?

I know there is a tool out there that we are going to order that is supposed to help with this. Also the engine is shimmed in the ski, we saved them and you can mount the engine in the engine mounts pretty sloppy and move everything around 1/4 in each direction so that should help. Bottom line is..how do you know when its perfect. Can it be don't by hand? Is the tool much better and if so how much does it help?

Anybody else done this out there and have some pointers. Seems like there is some play in the drive shaft both forward and back. Almost "compressed" feeling when you have the entire assembly out. Does that have anything to do with it..as in giving you some "play" both forward and back?

+1
    For reference these are the tools the shop manual suggests. If its true that I need all 3 of these bad boys...any idea on how to purchase easily. I am sure they are not cheap but will be needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	align tools.JPG 
Views:	274 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	342047  

+1
    If you haven't adjusted/moved the bottom 1/2 circle cups it should settle in the same spot when dropped in. Pump cannot be adjusted as such, so I wouldn't worry there.

Engine sits in a 4 point cradle, so unless you messed with the bottom 1/2's or the engine mounts on the engine, I can't see how it would have moved.

Had my engine out in the turbo model, used no tool, maybe got lucky?

Not super helpful but maybe worth a discussion.

+1
    thanks for the help. Unfortunately we took the entire thing apart including the engine mounts our and cooling rails off the bottom of the ski.

If you have to use a alinement plate better use it .
    The spark is set up like a hx .
    there should be no freeplay in driveline !
    I have blown a few drivelines in my hx before as it gets loose or should i say i needed to check them before they got loose!

Quote Originally Posted by jbryzek View Post
    For reference these are the tools the shop manual suggests. If its true that I need all 3 of these bad boys...any idea on how to purchase easily. I am sure they are not cheap but will be needed.
    and other 1 Parts you don't see in this picture.

+1
    Thinking outside the square I would think this would work set up on the shaft and turn the engine over to see the run out and adjust mounts to get straight

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dial Gauge.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	342093

+1
    Interested in details also. I ordered the alignment plate so I can check it when I take delivery. So you guys are saying NO thrust movement? Typical with carbon seal is under 3/8"...

@xdrain - the problem is you might not see any runout on the indicator, but you could still have angular misalignment. Plus if you get movement on the motor it would show up. It's tough cause you don't have two shafts(or couplings) to align, just one and a PTO insert. Seadoo doesn't really give a tolerance, were just doing a "rough" alignment in the millwright world. Thats why the splines are rounded. My 2 cents.
    Last edited by stuckmoto; 09-18-2014 at 08:02 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckmoto View Post
    Interested in details also. I ordered the alignment plate so I can check it when I take delivery. So you guys are saying NO thrust movement? Typical with carbon seal is under 3/8"...
    Mind me asking where you ordered your plate from? There must be some thrust movement I am thinking as the sea seems to have some flex in it. I am interested in seeing if anyone has done this yet on a spark. Everyone seems to have done it on other skis. This is different if I am not mistaken as the BRP sales rep told me directly that the shaft had to be exact dead on so the pto does not eat it up. He also said a few months back they are working on a more marinized version of the engine to help with these problems. Have not seen 2015's yet so don't know if its been implemented.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbryzek View Post
    Mind me asking where you ordered your plate from?
    I found it here for $55 shipped. http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/...6278-part.html
    I already have the standard seadoo tool(shaft and adapters).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information