Thread: OIL PAN

OIL PAN

I am getting ready to reassemble my 4-tec engine. What type of sealer should I use on the oil pan.

+1
    There's no oil pan on a Sea Doo 4tec.

On the lower section of the block many people recommend using permatex the right stuff. I've personally used it in this application and haven't had any issues/leaks. Use it sparingly you don't want it all gooped up inside the block ... And use loctite 243 or permetex 24300 its a surface insensitive thread locker and has a higher breakaway torque and prevailing torque then the plain old blue ( 242 threadlocker) it has a thicker viscosity similar to the red thread locker as well

Thanks, I am an experienced automotive mechanic. This is the first water craft engine I have worked on. It will take a while for me to get the terminology down. When I pulled the lower block off I was surprised to see the main bearings housed in it. Thanks for your advise. I have used right stuff at my shop many times. I read about Loctite 243 being oil resistant. Do I use it on all fasteners? Also do I use right stuff on the two gaskets for the oil pumps.

+1
    I use the Right Stuff on the case halves and never had a leak. works awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by hiker17 View Post
    Thanks, I am an experienced automotive mechanic. This is the first water craft engine I have worked on. It will take a while for me to get the terminology down. When I pulled the lower block off I was surprised to see the main bearings housed in it. Thanks for your advise. I have used right stuff at my shop many times. I read about Loctite 243 being oil resistant. Do I use it on all fasteners? Also do I use right stuff on the two gaskets for the oil pumps.
    I can't recall off the top of my head as it's been a couple of seasons since I had one completely torn down but I will be doing it in a few months ... But in an oem manual it's very clear where to use loctite or silicone/RTV etc... You can also look at exploded parts diagrams just doesn't indicate bolt torque the way the manuals exploded diagrams do

the only place I personally used the right stuff was on the lower case/block section

Thread Information