Nashville, TN

Seven Deadly Questions With Rob Greenwald

The Watercraft Journal: Rob, prior to becoming the Pro-AM Naturally-Aspirated Runabout National Champion (what does this year make? Three years in a row?), and four prior Pro-Stock National Championships, what sports did you participate in before you picked up PWC racing?

Rob Greenwald: Sports have always been an integral part of my life; 21 years now of racing PWCs, I also road raced for years, both AMA and WERA racing 600 Superbike, 750s, and 250GP. As a teen I raced motocross. Played football in college for Tulane and then played semipro until I was 38 years old. I still play in a Rough Touch Flag League (all contact but no tackling). I played rec hockey for most of my life, and I also still compete in USATF Masters Track in the 200m, 400m, shot, and javelin. And as hokey as it sounds, I also throw darts competitively in leagues and tournaments.

WCJ: You’ve famously powered through some serious injuries and surgeries. Care to list all your war wounds? (To make all those younger guys look like pansies!)

RB: All of them? We don’t have the time! But to start, I have had 17 orthopedic surgeries, the biggest being five knee surgeries (four from football and one from moto), cracked two vertebrae and ruptured discs from football, broken wrist, leg, and ankle, have raced PWCs with broken hand and fingers, and even raced last years Worlds with full blown pneumonia. The part that really sucks is I currently have spinal arthritis and seven compressed discs (that won’t go away) and my cervical vertebrae have become vertically stacked which limits neck mobility. My throttle hand has nerve damage which has also triggered arthritis; I wake up every day with a stiff tingly right hand. That said, I wouldn’t trade my sports or racing for anything, we have to make sacrifices for the greatest enjoyment of our lives… If I could do it again, I would have pushed even harder.

More at WatercraftJournal.Com
    Last edited by Rustymuscle; 09-18-2014 at 07:26 AM.

Thread Information