Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2009 seadoo rxt----not your average ticking sound, engine off, key out, noise???

I have a 2009 Seadoo RXT 215, all stock, 74 hours, just purchased a new rebuilt supercharger and installed it (selling the take off). After connecting everything back together, I put the key in and WITHOUT EVEN PUSHING START as soon as the key is on connector, does its normal beeps, but then a wierd fast ticking typewriter noise on top right rear of engine happens and continues to make wierd ticking sounds. Take the key out, and then it does a really looong fast ticking sounds as if it sounds like something is priming (similar to fuel pump noises on cars) I work on cars, not so much jetski's besides basic stuff. BTW THE ENGINE STARTS UP JUST FINE NO PROBLEMS. Why the ticking wierd sounds before and after?? Could it be a faulty supercharger or is that just coincidence? Maybe shorted solenoid? But if thats the case, why does it start no problem...It only makes noises with the key in ignition and engine OFF.

HERE IS A VIDEO CLIP ON YOUTUBE OF THE NOISE...SORRY SO SHORT....

HELP ASAP!!! It was in flawless condition until the supercharger was swapped....dont know if it was a fluke? Should I try to just run it and see if its nothing? Uggghhh....flustered. Suppose to be an easy swap and blaaaaaa!!!!

try charging your battery.. that sounds like a starter solenoid. weird that it starts easy...

True I will do that as well. I am not familiar with TOPS but I have read a few people saying that TOPS ticks for 10 seconds after key is removed, but if there is no clicking then you should be worried the TOPS is broken. Soooo maybe there really isnt any problems and its just the TOPS functioning normally? I wish I had listened to the engine with the seats off before I swapped. Having never listened to the motor with the seat off I don't know what normal and functioning properly sounds like!!! Any input?

Banned User
    +1
    IBV...Idle Bypass Valve...

Disconnect the wire plug that connects to it...plug in lanyard. Do not start it.

Don't worry about any error codes, this is only temporary...

If sound goes away, then the IBV is sticking...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ibv.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	342143

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    IBV...Idle Bypass Valve...

Disconnect the wire plug that connects to it...plug in lanyard. Do not start it.

Don't worry about any error codes, this is only temporary...

If sound goes away, then the IBV is sticking...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ibv.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	342143
    YUUUP thats it! So now what does that mean? Is that just a fluke that it happened or is it from replacing the supercharger, any relation etc.? What do I do now?

Banned User
    +1
    Reconnect the plug, but then remove the unit (2 screws)...

With it in your hand, test it again with the lanyard...

It should move in/out with the key to test itself...Does it make that sound when it does this?

The erratic sound is the arm moving back/forth...

As long as the motor is not HUNTING for a steady RPM when its idling, then the unit is fine...

It is unrelated to your SC work...

Sounds like you've got a paper jam, have you checked for this?. If so try Ctrl+alt+del.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Reconnect the plug, but then remove the unit (2 screws)...

With it in your hand, test it again with the lanyard...

It should move in/out with the key to test itself...Does it make that sound when it does this?

The erratic sound is the arm moving back/forth...

As long as the motor is not HUNTING for a steady RPM when its idling, then the unit is fine...

It is unrelated to your SC work...
    NO! Do NOT follow this stupid advice as he does not known anything about how this system works! If you take out the IAC valve and power it as described, the IAC will run the plunger right off the end and destroy it. The device is designed to automatically find the closed position, then reverse its course to a set opening for starting. If you run it out of the ski it will just run right off the end and cannot be reinstalled.

Thanks for the help everyone. After disconnecting the battery and checking all of the fuses it appears that the clicked noises have gone away when you put the key on and the noises are much shorter and quieter after you take the key off. We took it out on the lake yesterday and it started and ran just fine and you can only hear the clicking after you remove the key when the seat covers are off. Our RPMs when idling are between 1700 and 1900, which is where it was before.

One other question though, what should the RPMs be at full throttle for a RXT 215? Yesterday we hit around 7640 RPMs and 7700 showed up for a second, our speed (according to the dash, no GPS) was around 64-65 MPH and the lake was pretty calm. Is this about average? The plugs, wear ring and oil have about 35 hours on them and all still looks pretty good.

+1
    RPM should be 7900-8000'ish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information