Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

How long of a pole is recommended to touch a MSX 150 with CEL

There is a MSX 150 for sale on CL nearby with a check engine light. Touch it with a 10 foot pole or ?

+1
    My opinion is, if you have digital wrench or a nearby dealer to read the codes and you do a compression test and make sure the turbo is good then it's worth a try. Other than that, you're just shooting blanks in the dark

+1
    Code reading and compression test I understand. But how does one check the turbo?

+1
    Make sure the waste gate lever moves. It should be hard to move but able to spring back on its own. Also make sure it spins. I honestly don't remember the easiest way to do that. Hopefully someone else can chime in

+1
    Depends on how much $$$... I guess.

Can you get a test ride? This will answer a lot of questions... namely... what RPMs is the ECU limiting the engine to? That points toward the problem. Is it just the check engine indicator... or the overheat or battery or other indicator?

If no ride... well then at least start it (with reverse engaged) and see if it'll idle at 1500-1550 steady. Run for 30 secs max (out of water) and turn off. Pull dipstick, wipe, insert (don't thread it in), pull, read. You want to see oil anywhere from just barely touching the tip of the dipstick... up to the MIN mark. If the oil level is past MIN and closer to MAX... that's overfilled and could be sign of oil ingestion issues. Is the oil clear? If foamy/milky... could have water contamination (another big deal). Pull the plugs and do a compression test. This is a MUST! You need to see 125psi+ in each cylinder. Or plan to pull the engine (difficult) and spend big bucks to fix.

Without running the ski on the water... hard to test turbo. Check the wastegate isn't seized as GGG pointed out. If you can, remove turbo to intercooler hose, unbolt intercooler (2 bolts) and push it forward. It'll expose a single bolt that holds the airbox to the turbo inlet. Unbolt and push airbox out of the way and put your hand gently in the turbo inlet and grab the impeller shaft. See if it spins freely and if there is any bad wobble in it.

Great ski... when it's sorted out and running properly... which can cost a lot of money to get right.

Cheers!

+1
    I'm really chiming in here fairly blindly but i looked at one earlier this year till I found out none of my local dealers would even touch it. It had a light on as well I called all the local PWC dealers including the one that originally sold the equipment to the guy I was looking to buy it from and all said they no longer worked on these. So check around first unless your fairly mechanically inclined.

+1
    Anyone have Dig Wren wink wink. ( does Podiag work on the weber engines?)

Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    Anyone have Dig Wren wink wink. ( does Podiag work on the weber engines?)
    Last I heard preferred power sports in Brewerton had digital wrench and would work on these.
    i saw this listing yesterday. Several years ago I looked at a pair of msx 150's for sale and I think this might be on of them. These skis were bone stock one had an engine replaced under warranty. My thoughts are its likely to need an engine rebuild now or in the near future an update for the oil tank. I don't think the cel is a huge issue as the many different rpm limits usually give it away. I sure wouldn't pay 1500 for it unless it has been rebuilt/ updated.

+1
    Going to go look at one tomorrow. Seller claims it's in limp mode and no throttle response. Sounds like a ppu or throttle body issue to me. Compression seems decent at ~125 each cylinder. Asking $1k with trailer. Comments welcome before I go

+1
    Run for the hills, or be prepared to rebuild it. In all seriousness I would do it but I want another one to build stock and I know these skis and the weber engines really really well.

If you are not capable or ready to rebuild the engine I would avoid it. in all likelihood you won't get a full season before it needs something minor that requires the engine to come out. I got 180hrs out of my stock engine and I changed the oil every other tank of gas. Many don't make 100 hours before needing rebuilt.

however if you are inclined and willing they are great machines when they work well. Comfortable to ride and great in ruff conditions and one of the most efficient three seater ever made if not the most. Also pretty fast for there power level.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information