+1

2009 RXT IS v. SPARK ownership

So I've got a chance to pick up an '09 RXT IS with ~50 hours on it for about $6500. I currently have a 2up spark that I just tuned. Obviously very different skis, but as far as cost of ownership, overall fun, maintenance, etc. is it worth selling my spark and picking up the rxt?

+1
    Depends...are you wanting more speed and longer distance comfort at a higher operating cost.

+1
    I love my 2up spark, but I do think sometimes I should've gotten a bigger ski or at least a 3up. I like taking people out with me and it's definitely tight on the two up. Just wondering if the rxt is so much better than the spark that it'd be worth "trading".

+1
    You really cant compare these two. They are just 2 opposite sides of the spektrum. Spark is entry level machine, fun, light, manuverable and cheap to operate. RXT IS. Fast, big, seats 3, pulls toys, luxury ride, heavy, premium fuel, but costs more.

I cant believe you only have one machine. It's sort of like having one horse. Riding 3 up is ok, but you have to fight each other on who gets to drive. Best to have one for you and one for your guests. That way you can have 2 different machines with 2 different riding styles.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mouse View Post
    You really cant compare these two. They are just 2 opposite sides of the spektrum. Spark is entry level machine, fun, light, manuverable and cheap to operate. RXT IS. Fast, big, seats 3, pulls toys, luxury ride, heavy, premium fuel, but costs more.

I cant believe you only have one machine. It's sort of like having one horse. Riding 3 up is ok, but you have to fight each other on who gets to drive. Best to have one for you and one for your guests. That way you can have 2 different machines with 2 different riding styles.

Thanks for the reply and I think you're right. They're sooo different that they're almost incomparable. As far as owning two machines, I'd love to. I have a hard time justifying that cause I don't live on a lake and don't have a ton of storage space. That being said, there's some pretty sweet deals on 30-50 hour 1-3 year old GTI's around here that I'm really tempted to pick up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AUJeep View Post
    So I've got a chance to pick up an '09 RXT IS with ~50 hours on it for about $6500. I currently have a 2up spark that I just tuned. Obviously very different skis, but as far as cost of ownership, overall fun, maintenance, etc. is it worth selling my spark and picking up the rxt?
    Cost of Ownership: Spark is cheaper.
    Overall Fun: RXT iS (Personal Preference)
    Maintenance: Spark is cheaper.

It's hard to compare the two, but beware of suspension skis that add to cost of ownership and maintenance headaches.

+1
    Just a comment, but you can have lots of fun on either ski. In fact you can have as much fun on a 1990 ski as you can a 2015......

8. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SCHNORR12 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AUJeep View Post
    Cost of Ownership: Spark is cheaper.
    Overall Fun: RXT iS (Personal Preference)
    Maintenance: Spark is cheaper.

It's hard to compare the two, but beware of suspension skis that add to cost of ownership and maintenance headaches.
    I think the spark would be a lot more fun
    The rxt is a huge heavy ski and the suspension just adds to the weight. If long cruises are your thing then get the rxt. Otherwise i would get the spark. I still have the most fun on the small skis.

Thread Information