Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 RXPX Issue

+1

2014 RXPX Issue

I bought the ski a couple weeks ago with 4 hours on it. I put 2 hours on it last week without any issues. I took the ski out today for a long ride and immediately noticed a weird sound like engine was struggling or grinding or something. I wasn't sure if there was actually an issue or if I was just not familiar with the ski yet and worrying about nothing. I checked the grate and impeller, they look clear. About 2 hours into the ride, I went through a fairly long no wake zone. When exiting, I hit the gas and the ski went no where. I believe the RPMs were up to about 6,000. That happened a couple times and then I hit the throttle again and the ski drove as it did before.

I did notice that when I bought the ski at 4 hours, the engine oil looked brand new (as it should). Now at 8 hours, the oil is considerably darker. Could that be an indicator of an issue or is that just because of the fact it is break in oil?

I'm pretty lost on this one. Any help is appreciated.

+1
    classic symptoms of a SC failure
    probably only the clutch
    but it could be more

+1
    If it's a SC failure, STOP using it and to the dealer, pronto. This ski got ridden pretty hard for a failure at just 6 hours, no?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    classic symptoms of a SC failure
    probably only the clutch
    but it could be more
    Great. It wouldn't throw a code for that? How would I check? I'd like to confirm before I take it to the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by ProZadoX View Post
    If it's a SC failure, STOP using it and to the dealer, pronto. This ski got ridden pretty hard for a failure at just 6 hours, no?
    I didn't own it for the first 4 but I doubt it. He had it on a very small local lake. The two hours that I put on it were not rough at all. I was on a 5 mile lake without any other boat traffic, it was really calm.

+1
    Its covered under warranty so take in. Best guess would be a clutch issue.

If its anything to do with the supercharger the last thing you want is a total melt down. Always better error on the side of caution.

+1
    I dont think it is a clutch issue...Especially if it rode like it did before the no wake zone, and only having 6 hours on it....

Without seeing it or riding it, I cant offer anything but will be interested to see what it turns out to be....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skylolow View Post
    Its covered under warranty so take in. Best guess would be a clutch issue.

If its anything to do with the supercharger the last thing you want is a total melt down. Always better error on the side of caution.
    I don't have the greatest confidence in the local dealership, I'd like to at least diagnose the problem if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I dont think it is a clutch issue...Especially if it rode like it did before the no wake zone, and only having 6 hours on it....

Without seeing it or riding it, I cant offer anything but will be interested to see what it turns out to be....
    I thought it was making an abnormal buzzing type of noise from the moment I put it in the water but was not sure if it was all in my head. After the no wake zone, I began to worry because I actually experienced a tangible issue. It was like the ski was revving but not picking up speed. After it happened, I rode all the way (about 20 miles) back to the launch at 35 - 40 MPH.

Could the oil be an indicator or does the break in oil tend to change color from 4 to 8 hours?

+1
    did the oil get milky or dark?
    brake in oil is just standard oil, non synthetic

+1
    It could have a leaking intercooler already, i know its a long shot but sounds like the symptoms of slight water ingestion, and congrats on buying the ski, i actually was looking at it on craigslist but it seemed weird that the guy was selling it with only 4 hours, hopefully nothing is really wrong with it

+1
    It almost sounds prop related, cracked hub splines ? Did the ski vibrate when driving back?

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information