97 1100 STX gauge very dim

I have two gauge units and they both have the same problem, one is no longer readable and one is barely readable. The ski is not worth what a new one costs and was wondering a couple of things:
    -Can anything be done to revive the gauge?
    -Is this gauge unit more than just that or could I somehow install something else for indication (specifically for the fuel) and leave the buzzer for heat indication (I mix the oil in the fuel so dont need the oil res. indicator)?
    -I find on E-bay gauges and it looks like 97-98 were the same and the one I need. I see others for other years and it seems one had a 4th wire. Will any other year gauge units work with my 97?

Thanks, Kevin

+1
    Are the characters dim, or is the display turning dark? Leaving it out in the sun/heat for long periods will make them discolor.

I bought an STX DI gauge to replace one of mine, but the plugs are different. I was going to change the plugs around, but then realized that the DI model has a 'Check Engine' light. I was afraid that it would stay on all the time, so I didn't do the mod. (Then I got looking at the used display I bought and realized that the fuel gauge stripes didn't work).

You can keep waiting for a good one on Ebay, probably around $200 over the winter. Make sure you see (ask for) a photo of it actually working, but PayPal is pretty good about giving your money back if it's defective. There are a lot of them that have damage to the buttons. You can buy an overlay that is supposed to fix this for about $20. I haven't tried the overlay.

Pried it apart and it smelled of ..... something inside, like a petroleum smell but cant quite coin it. At any rate, it appears some of the liquid has leaked out of the liquid crystal display. It was between the glass and a plastic backing plate that is coated with what looks like a reflective paint. If the liquid is the conductor that illuminates (?) the segments (I am guessing here, I dont know about LCD operation), it makes sense that without it the display might be dim and / or not able to show all the segments. I think it's toast.
    Last edited by sbklf; 09-23-2014 at 07:38 AM.

+1
    Shouldn't be any liquid in there. The reflective piece should be dry. Be careful not to lose the little white conductive strip that connects the 'glass' to the circuit board.

Thread Information