continue to PreMix or reinstall the oil injection?

hey Folks, been a long time...

I have been premixing for so many years with various ski`s, my boat, and lawn equipment.
    Now I`m getting a bit tired and it`s getting more expensive as the years go by with rising oil costs even at my preferred price point.

I just want to hear some of yall`s constructive opinions for food for thought on the subject.

Patient> SeaDoo challenger twin Rotax jet boat. about 50+ hours on repower with reman engines back in 2012 and had been running premix since the very first start up.

with the 787`s the larger oil lines (12mm) are used for lubricating the Rotary Valve bearings/gears. So that complete loop including the oil tank is still functional.

The Mikuni oil pumps have been removed when the remans were assembled and block off plates installed along with the removal of the oil pump drive couplers which are behind the Mag cover...

So there is a bit of work if I really want to hook the oil injection back up.

I have been pulling the engines every year with the exception of this past winter, so pulling the engines to work on them on the bench is really no big deal.

I would just have to install all new oil lines tank> oil filters> pump> RV cover., Reinstall the pumps and operating cables, adjust everything to spec for idle and WOT

and of course realign the engines for the jet drive shafts...

so you see there is a bit of work.

what are your constructive/productive comments on the subject?

say screw it, and continue to PreMix? 40 gallon tank in the boat, so @ 40:1 ratio it`s one gallon per tank... This boat will do good on fuel when under the power band and the PV`s are closed, once the PV`s are opened and she`s singing, she`ll def drink some fuel...

OR

go for it and reinstall the oil injection to save quite a few dollars on oil use and reduce exhaust smoke during long idling in NWZ`s.

Thanks...PR...

+1
    I would continue to premix, just for piece of mind. I would hate to toast a motor due to some sort of mechanical failure to the injection system. One of these days, when I finish my 97 Spx resto, I am running premix.

+1
    Back when I had two strokes the oil injection was much easier to deal with vs premixing.

I have had my share of two stroke Seadoo models of all variations from 580 to 951 and have never had a problem or failure with the oil injection system. Yours is a tough call as you have a bit of work to reinstall the injection systems if you have all the parts and it's just labour I would say oil injection, if you have to start buying all the missing parts the cost might not out weigh the benefits.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Back when I had two strokes the oil injection was much easier to deal with vs premixing.

I have had my share of two stroke Seadoo models of all variations from 580 to 951 and have never had a problem or failure with the oil injection system. Yours is a tough call as you have a bit of work to reinstall the injection systems if you have all the parts and it's just labour I would say oil injection, if you have to start buying all the missing parts the cost might not out weigh the benefits.
    Hey Andy!!! It has been a while. Pretty sure I have two 787 oil pumps that both came off running motors. If you want them to attempt this, you are welcome to them.

How's life down there??!! The dog enjoying it?

I went thru that very same argument in my head when first installing the new engines. Since I had premixed the GP1300 for years prior to the boatI figured it would be no big deal to contiue what I already was used to doing, mixing 3 five gallon jugs at the gas station as I never use marina fuel.
    I have to agree that I never came across a failure directly related to the Mikuni pump and I`m also aware of the failures from zips, clamps, hoses etc from other people machines. Since the boat has proven itself over the last 2 seasons I figure it would be worth the risk if I can even call it that to reinstall the injection, change out some hoses which is already on my to do list and I saved everything except one oil pump cable became a donor for the hood latch mod. I have a shout out for a replacement cable. I have all the bolts, pumps, fitting, brackets, the one cable to put it all back, and have previously repaired the famous oil drip from the bottom fitting on the oil tank... so we are good to go if I chose this route.

man it would be nice to consume less oil, change up brands to maybe Legend, or a semi synth for better off time protection, less smoke, cleaner Raves, less replacement/service parts, it`s a win win, see I`m already convincing myself to do this, I`m still mulling over it...

Quote Originally Posted by lilman573 View Post

Hey Andy!!! It has been a while. Pretty sure I have two 787 oil pumps that both came off running motors. If you want them to attempt this, you are welcome to them.

How's life down there??!! The dog enjoying it?
    Dude! whassup!!! I plan on bench testing these and see how they are. I know they worked and the PO didn`t know the clock spring was off the arm, and surprisingly it was defaulted to wide open, I remember that when disassembling the engine for the remans. and surprised to see the pump at that position with the spring dislodged.
    I rewound/clocked the spring and it rotates fine, but to be safe I`ll bench test it...Thank you for the offer, I`ll shout out if I do need them...

OHHHHH the south!!! I don`t want to offend anyone so I`ll keep my thouhts to myself, hahahahahaha
    No worries, I`m still a Yankee!!!

no really, it`s fine... more of a lateral move compared to south Jersey. I was surrounded by water in Tuckerton, and still surrounded by water here in NC, but the Neuse River sucks compared to the Mullica... I do miss the Mullica, wading, bass rivers and the great bay and trips out to AC... I don`t have the right boat to go to far on the Neuse River out to the Pamlico sound, a 25ft deep V would be much better...

We have 3 shiba`s now and they have a blast on the boat, they all have their own life jackets.
    hahaha my wife won`t allow them to swin in the water here, hahaha but back in NJ they would most def swim in the mullica, sigh...lol...

Tell the gang I said hello!

Thread Information