Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

97 SLTX not starting after stator update

My 1050 ran on two of three cylinders before the upgrade. I bought the stator and CDI kit new. I have a new battery. It cranks great. I have weak spark and it does not start. The voltage drops to 10.26 while cranking. I've checked and rechecked the wiring and it all looks right. I thought I might be on to something when testing the coil but found I needed to account for the resistor caps (good news / bad news). I'm not sure what next. I'm hoping for suggestions on how to troubleshoot it. Thanks in advance for the help.

Banned User
    +1
    10.26 is not enough voltage while cranking. Charge the battery or get a new one.

Thanks, it is a new battery but I'll go put the charger on it now.

Ok, it started once but only once. Now I have the classic spark when you stop cranking. I've contacted the vendor that I purchased the kit from. They said I should check wiring again before exchanging the stator. I seem to get intermittent connection on the blue to ground(0.75). And I do not get 1200 ohms on the black to purple it is open. Opinions please? Is it feasible to pull the stator without pulling the engine? If so does anyone have a write-up? As always I greatly appreciate the members of this forum. You have been a big help!

Forgot to mention cranking voltage is still good 11.2.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sltx97 View Post
    Ok, it started once but only once. Now I have the classic spark when you stop cranking. I've contacted the vendor that I purchased the kit from. They said I should check wiring again before exchanging the stator. I seem to get intermittent connection on the blue to ground(0.75). And I do not get 1200 ohms on the black to purple it is open.

Opinions please? Is it feasible to pull the stator without pulling the engine? If so does anyone have a write-up? ...
    If the stator coil is open circuit, the stator is no good. Check the wires and connectors for signs of damage. If that looks normal then the stator has to come out.

Disconnected all wires from the stator. The 2 exciter coils are in question. Black to purple .004 ohms and black to gray open.

+1
    I Had problems with an aftermarket Polaris stator earlier in the year. Just installed the third aftermarket stator in a row on a Kawasaki 750 and it finally works. The aftermarket stators are CRAP!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    ... The aftermarket stators are CRAP!
    Do you know what company is the actual manufacturer making these aftermarket stators?

+1
    K447, the latest Kawasaki ones also had no markings of any kind just like the Polaris. These came from SBT. Both of these bad ones would also ohm out to specs like the Polaris ones I had all the trouble with. The first Kawi one wouldn't produce enough primary voltage off the excitor to light up the CDI. The second one was barely producing enough voltage off the pickup, it would hit now and then and sometimes start up but wouldn't idle and the timing was jumping around. The SBT waranty department had somebody in house actually test this third one before it was sent to me and it actually seems to be working properly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information