Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Replacing flywheel bolts

How much work is actually required to change out the flywheel bolts?

Does the engine need to be pulled?

Thinking about a winter project before hooking up my 137+4

+1
    you will spend more time cleaning up the oily mess than you would pulling the engine out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    you will spend more time cleaning up the oily mess than you would pulling the engine out.
    FACT!!!!!!!!!!! wait this the same guy that said heat & cool was to complicated on charger so this could get good...even thought u told him exactly what is true.........they don't like true & easy here lately........WATCH!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I pull the engine (good chance to check alignment and replace carbon seal) how much of the engine do I have to dismantle to replace the bolts?

Is this a job for an above average home mech? (I competent rebuilding SC, pump bearings, drive alignment, valve springs / retainers etc - never taken the head off or had anything to do with the timing end of the engine) I understand tightening sequences, torque and aditional degrees.

Will I be over my head with doing the flywheel bolts?

Truth is, there's no one I actually trust to work on my ski in Sweden!

+1
    u can do it if u get engine out.....yes align anything u can when u put it back together.....handle it.....BET!!!!!!!!!

+1
    Removing and replacing the PTO cover is very easy. The only thing you need to be careful about is the 2 spring washers and the thing washer that are on the starter bendix, those like to fall off and land in the drain bucket. There are a bunch of bolts around the perimeter of the PTO cover, you will need to take the water pump off ( a few more bolts). remove and replace flywheel bolts, clean the block area and PTO cover, remove any oil on the gasket surface. I take a THIN layer of Right Stuff or RTV on the block, this will help keep the pto cover gasket in place. Install the washer back on the bendix, put the PTO cover back on, bolt it up and be done.

+1
    there is one of the best seadoo tuners of europe in sweden, malte rosner (mrracing on the forum) of performance marine in henan.
    if you have the alignment tools it's a job you could easely do yourself.

http://www.re-performance.se/index.html

8. +1 by:

Removing and replacing the PTO cover is very easy. The only thing you need to be careful about is the 2 spring washers and the thing washer that are on the starter bendix, those like to fall off and land in the drain bucket. There are a bunch of bolts around the perimeter of the PTO cover, you will need to take the water pump off ( a few more bolts). remove and replace flywheel bolts, clean the block area and PTO cover, remove any oil on the gasket surface. I take a THIN layer of Right Stuff or RTV on the block, this will help keep the pto cover gasket in place. Install the washer back on the bendix, put the PTO cover back on, bolt it up and be done.
    Cheers Slow.

That sounds doable, I'll start looking at the shop manual and between the two make a decision.

Thanks.

It's about 7 hr drive each way from me, so whilst he appears to be a top guy, it's a bit of a distance (given I'd have to leave it there then collect a that's 28 driving hours).

Worth knowing about though.

+1
    Sea Doo Flywheel Bolt Upgrade Kit for 4-Tec Engines

This bolt kit is a high strength replacement for OEM flywheel bolts on all Seadoo & Yamaha 1.8 liter engines. The OEM flywheel bolts are prone to...
    RY10840-FWB $29.95

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information