Water in hull after rebuild-Please Help!!!

This is blowing my mind.
    The engine was rebuilt due to a bad third cylinder.
    Ran it in the hose multiple times before taking it on the water for the first time after the rebuilt.
    Ran fine on the hose. No leaks. Nothing.

Took it out to the lake and backed it off the trailer and it seemed fine. Sat at the dock for a minute or two. Then proceeded out. Was tooling around for a bit and it became less and less responsive to the throttle.
    Got to the middle of the lake and it was cavitation like no other. Wouldn't get on plane or go over 3 mph but was running 4k rpm.

Opened up up the seat and there was water half way filling the hull. Towed it back in and drained the water. Took it home and the engine was filled with water.

Removed the engine and flushed the water out with oil.

Does anyone know what may have caused the flooding? I don't remember leaving any hoses off, but if so, could it fill that fast? The weird thing to me is that it ran fine on land but took on water in the lake. Please help!

+1
    maybe your shaft seal.. fill up your ski with water on the trailer and see where it leaks..

+1
    also on older skies the thruhull kit.. dont know how i should call it.. lets water thru.. i changed al the thru hull kit on my ski due to water leaking in.

+1
    or run it on the trailer(in the water).. and see.. if it fills up until half you should see it right away..

Thanks for the help. I did fill it up on the trailer and it was not leaking anywhere. Is the thru hull kit the hold on the starboard side by the jet that lets out the exhaust? Probably a stupid question-but just to be sure. Thanks again.

+1
    just every place where they put a Kit/seal exhaust outlet. drain. outlet.. towing.liftinghooks on a seadoo on the back.. every thru hull fittting..

i had the same problem with my ski after rebuild.. could not find the leak on the trailer.. i just made the ski dry dry from the inside.. put in in the water and put my head in the engine compartment.. and took a look..

hope it will help you.

I'll give it a try-thank you!

+1
    What is the ski? You may try looking at the exhaust coupler where it mates with the stinger (on a Yamaha anyhow). The outside coupler being loose may not show signs of a leak on the hose bc of the low water pressure- but on the lake it could rush out pretty quickly. CMGWW had a post about this and his ski filled to the halfway point In just a few minutes of "at speed" riding. Just a thought!

One of your water lines or exhaust boots are loose. Leave it hooked to the trailer and back it down in the water...take seat off and start it and you will see where its comin from I bet.

Thank to everyone who gave advice-I got it back out today after tightening down all of the couplings and hoses and there was no water in the hull after a strong ride. Thanks to all who helped!

Thread Information