Question Seadoo oil pump drive difference ?

Can someone please educate me on the difference in these oil pump drives for the 787/800?

I currently have the larger black drives that encapsulate the flywheel crankshaft nut on a 1998 787cc boat.

the white one pictured is for ? XP`s?

I do have the square hole in the end of the crank snout, wondering why there are these large black drives that necessitate removal of the mag cover to install VS installing the white ones into the drive bore...

what is the design or use difference here? The black ones do appear much stronger, is it because the blacks ones are used in boats?

Thanks...

These are generic pics off the interweb.

+1
    The black ones are for the 947/951's......I wonder if they sent/sold you the wrong part???

+1
    I have seen the black one on an RFI as well... carb 787 motors always seem to have the white one, i prefer the white one. Not sure why they changed though...

Hi Tiny, from what research I have read, there are several black couplers or 787 and 951, different part number and different lengths.
    the 98 challenger 1800 shows> 290837392 which supersedes to 420837392

there must be a reason why BRP put these in the boat as compared to what I found for the ski`s.
    The black couplers that are/were in the boat are original, from what I understnad and saw these engines have never been apart until I purchased the boat.

If I switched up to the white couplers would the correct part number be 290837330?

edit: from what I found out, the new versions were an updated part, I believe they started in 98. I`m also told it was changed bc the white ones would twist and break... and there could be several reasons for that. I`ve also seen the black ones snap the fingers off, so six of one, half a dozen of the other...
    The white ones wouldn`t need to have the Mag cover removed to install...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 09-24-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Hi Tiny, from what research I have read, there are several black couplers or 787 and 951, different part number and different lengths.
    the 98 challenger 1800 shows> 290837392 which supersedes to 420837392

there must be a reason why BRP put these in the boat as compared to what I found for the ski`s.
    The black couplers that are/were in the boat are original, from what I understnad and saw these engines have never been apart until I purchased the boat.

If I switched up to the white couplers would the correct part number be 290837330?

edit: from what I found out, the new versions were an updated part, I believe they started in 98. I`m also told it was changed bc the white ones would twist and break... and there could be several reasons for that. I`ve also seen the black ones snap the fingers off, so six of one, half a dozen of the other...
    The white ones wouldn`t need to have the Mag cover removed to install...
    From what i have read in all your threads here & at pwc today,you are making things way to dificult for no reason.get a manual for your ski or boat,you ask questions about things you already have an answer for.use the ones that were in your motors when you took all the stuff off,theres no need to question if it's the rite part for what you got.you took it all out at one time.

thank you for your very informative post
    Really they make a shop manual for my boat???
    I`m learning about the differences and models years which is what I`m inquiring about.
    I think I know how to work on my vessel by now...

yes, I am looking for a simple yes or no or what part numbers fit what, as asked on a few forums, no harm in that.

If I can save myself a few hours work and use the white ones, then so be it...
    when I have all that I need in my hand, then I`ll make the call on what I want to do...

edit: I`ve also learned that there is a difference in length between the 787 and 951, so if you looking at parts from Ebay, just be sure to make sure it is the correct part.
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 09-24-2014 at 03:05 PM.

+1
    Just be glad you don't have a merc 240 efi lol

Thread Information