Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

question about different year steering nozzles...

I have a 98 challenger 1800. I picked up a spare set of steering nozzles for stock but they are from a 97. The obvious difference I see it that they have a larger bore and are thinner compared to the 98 counterpart.

what would be the effect if I installed these?

did all the seadoo guru`s retire? there used to be a handfull of very knowledgeable seadoo peeps a while back...
    sigh...

where did my buddy airborn go???

anyway, I`ll toss this out there and this is what I think...

If the diameter affects the boat the same as it would a ski, I could assume that the larger bore of the 1997 steering nozzles would produce a slightly more loose feel to the steering.

the 1998 steering nozzles are def made heavier/thicker for whatever reason BRP did this...

+1
    The larger diameter ones would give you more bottom end if my understanding is correct. As far as the metal being thicker, they may have decided it was too thin on the 97 so they went thicker...

Funny part is that the helm is different on the 97 from the 98. The footwell area on a 97 has a cut out recess for your feet to extend further, the 98 is flat across... I cant fit as well in a 98 vs the 97.......

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    The larger diameter ones would give you more bottom end if my understanding is correct. As far as the metal being thicker, they may have decided it was too thin on the 97 so they went thicker...

Funny part is that the helm is different on the 97 from the 98. The footwell area on a 97 has a cut out recess for your feet to extend further, the 98 is flat across... I cant fit as well in a 98 vs the 97.......
    Thanks Tiny!I could see that being the case if the venturi were larger, but the steering nozzles having that affect and creating more bottom end?

It`s a good thing I`m short then, with custom modified mounts and SAS seats the fit is now perfect!

+1
    My bad, I understood it to be the venturi not the steering nozzles. If the steering nozzles are bigger it might turn slower/not a tight vs a smaller nozzle?? I am just throwing out ideas.....

I would think that would affect a smaller craft more than a much larger heavier boat.
    I`ll post up specs when I get a chance...

example: 90mm ProTec extended steering nozzle is more harder to turn under power, but more precise control, than a larger 92-95mm OEM steering nozzle.which is a lot looser.

I`m pretty sure the turn radius would be the same, but they might be a bit more sloppier at lower speeds to control the boat , say at idle or in NWZ`s...

Tiny,
    the 98 challenger steering nozzle are 88-89mm

the 97 challenger 1800 steering nozzles are 95-96mm...

anyone have facts to shed some light on the different set up for the earlier challenger boats?

those nozzles from 97 to 98 are quite a difference, BRP had to have some reasoning...

+1
    I can ask some of the BRP reps..They give us dealers a private website to chat on..I will post this question and see what they say....

Could take a few days for a response....Be patient.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information