Thread: lifting straps

+1

lifting straps

I need to pickup the ski and do some minor paint work on the hull. I've seen some straps on ebay that are just to pick up the ski, are they any good.
    Since the ski weighs around 1000 pounds and I'll be under it I'd like to know what other people use?

Ski bottom is gel coated not painted...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Perhaps the hull can be rolled onto one side while you do the work?

Working underneath a hull that is supported by lifting straps carries risk. Shit happens.

+1
    I've used the same davit master ski lift straps for as long as I can remember but I'm always careful as to never get under the ski. I've had the winch cable snap and drop a ski 7 feet, thank god it was over the water. lesson learned, don't let your winch cable rust

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezl_Dr View Post
    I need to pickup the ski and do some minor paint work on the hull. I've seen some straps on ebay that are just to pick up the ski, are they any good.
    Since the ski weighs around 1000 pounds and I'll be under it I'd like to know what other people use?

One of my neighbors a few blocks down does work on hulls for all the rental companies here at the beach he always does as someone else mentioned he has them on the ground on there side he said it was a a whole lot easier and safer to do the work like that when I asked why he did it like that. If I remember tomorrow i will try and drive down his street and take a picture there are always several out there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Working underneath a hull that is supported by lifting straps carries risk. Shit happens.
    ----------------------
    +10000000000000. Better to be safe-than not.

Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    Ski bottom is gel coated not painted...
    --------------------
    Chaz, curious what Kawasaki skis you have at home in your garage?

Also, would like to know "briefly" the difference between gel-coat vs. a catalyzed paint. Is the color integrated into the fiberglass (gel coat) molding process?

I've got a ski strap that I ordered from Overtons. I pick up my aquatraxes using it with an engine crane. Works great. I wouldn't stick my head under the ski, but I'm comfortable waxing the hull just reaching in. Both the straps and the hoist are rated beyond the weight I'm lifting.

8. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Spooling View Post
    Chaz, curious what Kawasaki skis you have at home in your garage?
    440 standup modified race ski.
    650 X-2 wtih 800 SXR motor, tops out at 50 mph GPS.
    750 SXi Pro standup in a showroom condition - will end up in my livingroom sometime.
    1100 STX D.I.
    15F STX
    Ultra LX - project ski
    300X RR - project ski

Too many skis but not enough time to ride...

Quote Originally Posted by Spooling View Post
    Also, would like to know "briefly" the difference between gel-coat vs. a catalyzed paint. Is the color integrated into the fiberglass (gel coat) molding process?
    Similarity is that they both contain hardener (or catalyzer) that allows it to cure and dry more quickly (than just drying off by air on typical paint).
    Dissimilarity is that gel coat comes in liquid form in a can and catalyzed paint comes in spray can.
    Gel-coat is much thicker, durable & its sheen lasts longer.

On all Kawi skis with black hull (2011 & later), Valspar brand gel-coat is used.
    http://www.valsparcoilextrusion.com/...es/colors.html

There is distributor who specializes on DIY gel-coat repair kit for Kawi skis if you want to repair scratch, hole, etc.
    http://www.spectrumcolor.com/Index.aspx
    Last edited by meangreenman; 09-26-2014 at 03:14 PM.

10. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    a proper jetski sling and a RATED winch and cable are needed for safe operations.

Keep in mind that a moving ski is NOT a static load and careless operation of the winch controls can bounce the load and cause a lifting system failure.

I would expect a 700 pound loaded ski to be lifted with something rated no less then a ton and a half

Accidents can kill or maim.

spare NO EXPENSE lifting a 500+ pound object

Change cables yearly. DO NOT trust woven web straps that ship with skis, cut them off and replace with quality chain.

First time I bounced a 4-tec going into my tank (I was real new at this ya see) I bounced it and nearly lost it when the front strap shredded from the load. Luckily it held long enough for me to get the ski into the tank. Bent the crane/davit arm too.. I ended up getting a forklift to get the ski out and took the crane arm next door for some serious beefing up.

There is a reason I charge $75 for a tank test..I replace all lift components at the beginning of each season. I buy a new winch every two years.

The simpler method is to simply get the ski on the ground, roll it over with the help of some friends and block it up so it can't be moved ( remove battery and drain oil first )

The local fiberglass guy has GIANT Styrofoam blocks he uses for bottom work.
    Last edited by K447; 09-27-2014 at 09:48 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post

440 standup modified race ski = Collectible Treasure

650 X-2 with 800 SXR motor, tops out at 50 mph GPS = Never had the chance to ride one of those, yet I "played" with one of those one time out on a Fresh-Water Lake - when I had my Modified Ultra-150.

750 SXi Pro standup in a showroom condition - will end up in my living room sometime = Is it a 2002 with the super cool looking checker flag decal set?

15F STX = Great Ski.

Ultra LX - project ski = Yet Another !!!

300X RR - project ski = Tell us more. RR = ? Race Ready? Race Replica? What Year? Post up a couple of pics if you can or have time to. Remember: "W/O Pic is a B.S." (J/K of Course)

Too many skis but not enough time to ride... - You gotta "make" time Chaz. I am certain with a collection like that you have some "summer-time friends" visiting you quite frequently

Many Thanks for your "contributions" you always make here in the Kawasaki Section !!!

Ed

Thread Information