Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

water in pump..again..this is getting frustrating.

All season I have been having problems with getting water in the pump. I have rebuilt the pump completely twice, changed the seals 4 times, tried two pump housings, two impeller shafts, motor alignment is perfect (checked twice), tried oil, grease, grease and oil, and I'm now about to be on my 4th bearing this summer. The pump always holds pressure after reassembly but gets wet after a ride. I'm out of ideas.

getting tired of pressing the pump apart after every ride to clean out the contaminated grease.

+1
    bummer...I have the pump of my RXPX260 if you want to try it for a few rides

+1
    How much grease/oil/grease&oil are you running? Heat may be causing pressure to puff the seal out, which will cool after running hard, pulling in water.
    You could try a cap full of tranny fluid mixed in, which may expand and soften the seal enough to alleviate the issue.
    If you're using 75w90, hold the cone in a vise or use two duct tape rolls, and heat it 20F or so over whatever water temp you currently ride in, then install.
    I hope you work it out.
    Good luck

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoMite View Post
    bummer...I have the pump of my RXPX260 if you want to try it for a few rides
    thanks Dino, may take you up on that whenever the weather clears up. going to try to get out this weekend if it allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    How much grease/oil/grease&oil are you running? Heat may be causing pressure to puff the seal out, which will cool after running hard, pulling in water.
    You could try a cap full of tranny fluid mixed in, which may expand and soften the seal enough to alleviate the issue.
    If you're using 75w90, hold the cone in a vise or use two duct tape rolls, and heat it 20F or so over whatever water temp you currently ride in, then install.
    I hope you work it out.
    Good luck
    I have tried different levels, full,3/4, half, 1/3. same issues. I have pressure tested 50+ psi with no leaks. also have tried balancing the cone pressure to atmospheric. figured that it would pressurize itself as it heated up. haven't tried the tranny fuild.

you guys think it could be something with the prop? maybe its slightly out of balance or bent along the drive line angel causing a wobble at high rpms allowing water past the seals. it's a stretch but it's the only thing I can come up with.

+1
    you may want to let someone else take it apart and verify your work and or parts that are being used-- similar actions will produce similar results-- the results speak for themselves...

+1
    There's not much to these pumps. They are pretty straight forward so it's hard to see what could be done wrong... I have tried a known good pump from a friend with the same result.

Everything, including the pump itself has been swapped out. The only constant has been the prop.

+1
    I assume the bearing are good, just getting water through the seals? Shaft is straight? Are seals install the correct direction? Do you put any sealer on the seal rim?

+1
    I'm on my 4th bearing and it is on its last leg with less than 5hrs on it. not sure how the water is getting in but I would assume past the seals on the prop side. a couple of times the oring on the shaft under the collar shredded but not lately. no sealer. seals point toward the prop. no signs of the shaft being bent and I have swapped it out.

+1
    It stayed dry only for a couple hrs after each rebuild/new seals. but water gets in after a few hours of running.

can't help but think its something with the prop as its the only thing left. just don't know what.

+1
    How is Your nose cone!! Those pos plastic cone screws should not be over tightened. I think Dean had a similar instance and we replaced the orings and properly torqued the Allen screws down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information