Air filter aftermarket setup options:

Looking for opinions or logical arguments for or against these options for an aftermarket filter setup. I'm getting a good deal on an intercooler upgrade, so I need to remove the stock intake tube and box. These are in order of my consideration:

1) K&N part RU-1280 with RU-1280DR "Drycharger" pre-filter bag.
    This should attach nicely to the turbo inlet. It's only 4 inches long, and has a 10 degree angle on the flange, so I could turn it away from the engine a bit, and down just a bit so that any possible moisture would drip down, not into the turbo. It's a little more pricey option. The Drycharger pre-fiilter protects the filter from moisture during operation.

2) siliconefilters.com custom kit. This seems to be the exact the same parts as H20extreme filter kit, but about 1/3 the price. They sell a reducing elbow from 2.0 to 2.5 inches, which mates to a conical filter with carbon fiber looking plastic splash guard around it. The inlet of the filter is 2.5 inches, and I have measured the turbo inlet flange at 1.875 inches (1 7/8 "). The 2.0 inch reducer is the best I can find, they don't have one that goes down to 1.875. It's cheaper, and looks cool, but there are a couple negatives: first, it may not clamp onto the turbo as nicely as the K&N which is the correct diameter. Second, that will compound the fact that it is a heavier setup, and has no support other than the clamp, and it could fall off in rough conditions. Third, I will probably have to remove the big vent tube from the fire extinguisher tray that goes under the back seat, as the filter will take up that area.

3) UMI foam filter - the one that Macsboost sells with the kit. I don't really like this one because I don't think the foam is the best option for water resistance or filtering capability.

I say just buy the parts you need. I just done an intercooler kit and costs me like $300 or less total.

Quote Originally Posted by singledsupra View Post
    I say just buy the parts you need. I just done an intercooler kit and costs me like $300 or less total.
    What did you use for the intake filter?

I'm getting a Torx Racing intercooler that was only installed for demo purposes for $300. The K&N filters for intake and breather will be about $70 extra.

Used a reducer

+1
    The K&N air filter would be a good choise . In motorcross we use something like the pre- filter bag in extremely dusty conditions.

Bought the K&N with pre-filter. A little more expensive, but seems to work great.

Macsboost has a nice foam filter.

Thread Information