05 STX-15F Advice

Hello everyone!

Earlier this year I bought 2 2005 15F's, our first ski's and they had been running awesome. Back in June, one of them shut off while riding. Got it running again, and would only run with throttle. From behind it, you could smell gas, and it was running like total garbage. Had a mobile diagnostic done the next day, and the guy told me zero compression in cylinder #1 and speculated rings and/or rods.

They've been sitting since then mostly because of a hectic summer. However, I have spoken with a couple of mechanics and they suspect anything from a valve train issue to a whole new motor.

At this point, I'm considering just selling it whole to someone that wants to part it out. I really don't have the time or resources to repair it, and just prefer to get it out of here.

My question is, what would be a fair asking price for it in it's current state? Obviously, I don't want to just give it away, but I'd at least like to recoup a fraction of my initial investment.

Thanks for any advice!

+1
    If everything else on the ski is in good shape, I would say about $1500 at the most for one with a bad engine, It would probably cost as much to repair as its worth in running order, or if you have the space to keep it you would have alot of spare parts if you needed them, but the chances of needing many parts are slim, the engine & the jet pump are the things that would normally go during its life.

+1
    $1500 w/a single trailer if the hull is in good shape. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, it does not take much time to pull the head and see if it's just a stuck valve. The valves are steel and rust, especially if left for a long time with water in the waterbox. You won't devalue the ski any more if you take the head off.

Do you have a service manual?

Quote Originally Posted by boudin View Post
    $1500 w/a single trailer if the hull is in good shape. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, it does not take much time to pull the head and see if it's just a stuck valve. The valves are steel and rust, especially if left for a long time with water in the waterbox. You won't devalue the ski any more if you take the head off.

Do you have a service manual?
    I do. Haven't considered pulling the head myself. If it is a stuck valve, what would I need to do to fix it...properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Bry View Post
    If it is a stuck valve, what would I need to do to fix it...properly?
    Stuck valve (stem) is one of the probably possibilities for 15F that was mainly used on salt water and 2 others on that ski are:
    > Detonatged/melted piston (& that's why 2006/7 has different PN ECU).
    > Spun rod bearing. If no crack on the engine case, rod is not broken.

The cyl head (the most expensive part of engine) may just need some clean up or a replacement, depending how much damage is done by flying debris if any.

Before doing anything drastic (selling or fixng), confirm the compression reading.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry View Post
    I do. Haven't considered pulling the head myself. If it is a stuck valve, what would I need to do to fix it...properly?
    Find a local machine shop; have them tell you what parts are needed and order OEM. Another alternative is to do an SBT head swap for $500. I've had pretty good luck with those.

+1
    ^^^ SBT is close to you - namely just across the Bay in Pinellas County ^^^

I am certain they have a flurry of shops that specialize in PWC repair - and could probably recommend one to you if you feel this issue is beyond your grasp.

There is another option, trade that thing in on a brand spanking NEW machine. You will be glad you did. I am certain you will get 1,500- to 2,500- the way it is.

Start snooping for a new left-over model:

http://www.pwctrader.com/listing/201...-15F-113168232

Good Luck !!!

Thread Information